Peter Neiger's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: fiction

Oh. My. God.
This book is so good. I haven't cried in public at the death of a fictional character since A Song of Fire and Ice. I am starting to understand why this series has such a following. I thought the first three books were solid YA fiction, but nothing special. Now things are getting real and frighteningly realistic. Rowling's treatment of characters is so brilliant, I see what Stephen King recommends her. Selfish politicians who stick their head in the sand, power-hungry leaches latching on to evil in order to feel strong, soldiers turned civilians who risk it all to take up arms again, and the unexpected death of innocent people who are just caught in the crossfire all speak to the reality of these books. Reality is messy, innocent people die for no good reason, and some people are so narcissistic and lust for power so much that they would rather watch the world burn than feel weak.

I haven't been this excited to continue a series in a very, very long time. Probably since I first read The Dark Tower series in 2003.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

February 23, 2018 – Shelved