Lyndz's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Nov 03, 2011

bookshelves: own, i-luff-my-nook-ebook, favorites, reviewed
Recommended to Lyndz by: Lisa Reads & Reviews

5 STARS! & FAVORITE!!
I have been mulling about this review for a couple days, not because I didn’t want to write it but because I wanted to write a review that would do the awesomeness that is this book some justice. Wow, just wow.

I really loved every square inch of this book. Laini Taylor’s writing style is one of the most enjoyable of any author that I have ever read. Her word choice and command of the English language was stunning. It is highly poetic and flowing without losing track of the story or becoming too esoteric. I am trying to think of a way to articulate what I mean about her writing. -It was like eating cheesecake; sweet and indulgent without being too sappy. I read it slowly and carefully to enjoy the style and the prose. It has been a really long time since I finished a book and immediately wanted to flip it over and start it again. So thank you Laini.
I want to read everything she has ever written. And did I mention she has beautiful bubblegum pink hair? Awesome.

Anyway, about the story. Karou was a great protagonist, I loved her right off the bat. Such a entertaining character and totally relatable. (view spoiler) I wish I had a best friend like Zuzana. She was so hilarious. I just cherished every scene with her in it. I hope she is just as funny and adorable in the 2nd installment. (Which I will buy as soon as it is available.)

Plot twist at the end! Wow, again wow. I was not even expecting that.

If you have not read this yet, and you have any interest in mature YA at all, I must insist that you not only pick it up immediately, but put aside whatever you are reading currently and put this on in your lap. I insist. You won’t regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

Quotes Lyndz Liked

Laini Taylor
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

page 390
March 22, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 23, 2012 –
page 431
100% "Finished. Will write review soon, I want to think on it for a bit so I can write a review that will do the book justice."
March 26, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
June 25, 2012 – Shelved as: reviewed
November 21, 2013 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
November 21, 2013 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
December 17, 2013 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)

Megs ♥ Hope you love this, Lyndz! :D

Lyndz Thanks Meg. I really love it so far.

Rachel I loved the poetic writing too!

Lyndz She is amazing. I cant wait for the next book to come out.

Rachel Me too!

message 6: by Lyndz (last edited Mar 26, 2012 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyndz Have you read any of her other stuff?
I just wonder if it is equally "poetic"

Rachel I haven't sadly so I don't know.

Lyndz Oh well, thanks anyway. :)

Nataliya I've been meaning to read this book for a while. Now I'm moving it up on my TBR list.

Lyndz Hi Nataliya, you definitely should. I had this in my TBR list for a while too and when I started it I kept thinking "why did I put this off for so long? It is amazing".
I hope you like it when you get to it!

Micheline Great review Lyndz_♥ , I especially like the comparison to eating cheesecake :D

Megs ♥ haha I felt the same way when I read this. I didn't think I could od it justice in a review, because it was just so good. I'm glad you loved it too, Lyndz. I really cannot wait for book 2.

Lyndz Thanks Micheline :)

Meg, I know, me too! I keep looking at the release date (not until November argggg). I was going to see if I can pre-order it somewhere to tide myself over until it is actually released.