Christi's Reviews > The Whistling Season

The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig

Recommended to Christi by: Angela

If you like "A Prairie Home Companion," you will love this book. It's got the same charming, organic, grass roots atmosphere as Garrison Keillor's stories, except that it's set in 1909 Montana instead of Minnesota. (Though there are some Scandinavian families involved.) The narrator remembers the year he was 13, when his recently widowed father hires a housekeeper, sight unseen, from a newspaper ad. She arrives in Montana with her brother Morris, who suddenly finds himself as teacher in the community's one-room schoolhouse. It is Morris's teaching that makes this book memorable for me; anyone who has ever been at the front of a classroom will marvel at his innate ability to stretch the minds of his "young scholars."

Doig's style is graceful and lovely, though you never feel like the pace is too slow. No words are wasted and each is clearly chosen to be savored by the author -- and the reader. This book has the most incredibly beautiful description of horrendous cruelty that I've ever read. I didn't want to read it but I couldn't help myself. That's skill.

Joy, humor, anger, sadness, beauty, violence, corruption, love -- it's all here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whistling Season.

Started Reading