Josiah (bookishfanboy)'s Reviews > Tempests and Slaughter

Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce

liked it
bookshelves: books-for-review, books-i-own, read-in-2018

I would like to thank Penguin Random House International for including me in this global blog tour and for providing a finished copy for me to read.

This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This is my first time reading a Tamora Pierce book and I’m not actually aware of her other books before I read this one. Tempests and Slaughter is an okay book, at least for me. The thing that I love the most is Arram, the main character in this book. The thing I dislike is that every chapter is very long and the writing style is not for me. I know why almost everyone really enjoyed this book and Pierce’s writing but unfortunately, I’m not one of them. But don’t get me wrong I don’t hate the book. It’s just that it’s not what I expected it to be.

Okay, let’s talk about the things I love first. I really like Arram, the main character in this book. He was really likable along with his other friends, Varice and Ozorne. I love their friendship, at least at first parts of the book. There are some parts that were very interesting and actually fun to read. But that’s all what I had to say on the things that I liked, at least for now as I just finished the book.

The things that I dislike includes very long chapters, a very flat story, and I just find the overall story very boring. I don’t know why but a book with very long chapters is not my cup of tea. Well , unless the book is really interesting and action-packed then I’m good with long chapters, but in this case where most of the time nothing really happened on a big scale, it’s not just the right format to be used. At least in my opinion. The story felt flat because most of the time, nothing really important happens and sometimes there are things that are not necessarily need to be included. And when you finish every long chapters, a cliffhanger of some sort is not really there. Like most of the time, there’s no big happenings in every end of the chapters that’s why I’m not really invested in continuing the next chapter for a while. This book is very slow-paced and I’m quite disappointed.

Maybe if I knew and read the other books by Tamora Pierce in the same world, maybe a would’ve like this one better. But unfortunately, in this case I do not.

I still gave it three stars though because the first part of the book is really quite interesting and it’s nice to read. But as the story progresses, nothing really important happens, making it slow-paced and Pierce’s writing is not for me. I really want to enjoy this book as much as others but it ended up just okay. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either.

Maybe for some other time, once I get a chance to read this book again or other books by Tamora Pierce, I’ll get to enjoy the world that she created.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempests and Slaughter.

February 23, 2018 – Started Reading