Ronel Janse van Vuuren's Reviews > How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More

How to Make a Living with Your Writing by Joanna Penn

bookshelves: non-fiction, writing-career, writing-craft

This book covers how to use your writing in various ways to make a living from it. Step-by-step Joanna takes you through what it means to be published, how your rights (ebook, print, audio,etc.) work and how you can exploit them, how to make an income from older books and how to do some of the publishing stuff yourself.

She even mentions great products you can use that she uses herself – and I’m definitely going to follow her advice! It just makes sense: she already made the mistakes and learned from them.

I liked the parts where I actually have to think about my own motivations for doing things – I bought the workbook one (the only one I could get from my local online store) and I’m really happy I did. There’s so much to think about, decide and then turn into actions.

“Stop waiting for permission. You don’t need it. Stop waiting to be chosen. Choose yourself.” These are powerful words. Writing your book, querying agents, waiting to be accepted, getting rejected (sometimes just because they already signed something similar a week earlier) – those are things that eat away at your confidence as a writer. Going Indie, choosing yourself, is empowering.

I highly recommend this book to all authors who want to make a living with their writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Make a Living with Your Writing.

February 23, 2018 – Started Reading