Dita's Reviews > The Long Walk

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
26261386
's review

it was amazing
Read 2 times. Last read February 27, 2018 to February 28, 2018.

This is Stephen King at his creepy best. I’m on vacation and I ripped through this in a day. As I read, the water became less blue, the beach became less sunny, the drinks stopped getting the job done...LOL. You get the idea, getting pulled into Stephen King’s world, even for a day, is a dark, dark place.

Also? Suzanne Collins ripped off Stephen King so shamelessly in writing The Hunger Games that I have secondhand embarrassment for her.
188 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Walk.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

2009 – Started Reading
2009 – Finished Reading
February 22, 2018 – Shelved
February 27, 2018 – Started Reading
February 27, 2018 –
page 66
17.84%
February 28, 2018 –
page 209
56.49%
February 28, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Dita Stop everything you are doing and read it right this second!! 😂


message 2: by Ginger (last edited Mar 01, 2018 06:47AM) (new) - added it

Ginger Great review! I've got to read this book this year. Thanks for the reminder.
And yeah, I agree about the Suzanne Collins part. I've heard that from others as well.


Dita Thank you, Ginger!


Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Dita! You convinced me to add it!


Dita Jennifer, I can’t wait to hear what you think! 😘


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

i'd have dropped the book as soon as it affected my drink. yr last sentence is funny!


Dita So was yours!


message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Falk Nice review Dita.


Dita Thanks Paul!


Matthew Great review of one of my top 5 favorite books!


message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Howard-Pye Mathew.... Top 5 books of all time?


Matthew Jason wrote: "Mathew.... Top 5 books of all time?"

Oh, yeah! I have read it 3 or 4 times and I am thinking about listening to it soon.


Doreen Petersen Great review! Stephen King does have that knack of drawing you into his books.


message 14: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Matthew wrote: "Great review of one of my top 5 favorite books!"

Thank you. I agree 100%. This was my third time through and it loses nothing!


message 15: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Doreen wrote: "Great review! Stephen King does have that knack of drawing you into his books."

Thank you, and yes, he SO does!


message 16: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I agree! I read this while I was on vacation in Playa del Carmen, and I kind of wished that I didn't. It stuck with me all day, and I was a bit creeped out, even while I was out on the beach.

I read the whole thing today, twelve years later. Still an amazing story, but not nearly as scary as I remember. I'd definitely recommended this to anyone who wanted to get into Stephen King and didn't know where to start.


message 17: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Emily wrote: "I agree! I read this while I was on vacation in Playa del Carmen, and I kind of wished that I didn't. It stuck with me all day, and I was a bit creeped out, even while I was out on the beach.

I r..."


I was rereading it as well and I agree with everything you said!


NAT.orious reads ☽ I'm not a fan of his, to be honest (I only ever really liked The Green Mile) but your review makes me wanna read this!


message 19: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita This one is really really good! I hope you give it a try!


NAT.orious reads ☽ Dita wrote: "This one is really really good! I hope you give it a try!"

I've put it on my Want to read shelf... so I'm trying to keep it in mind among the ohter 700-something books :D


message 21: by Gianfranco (new) - added it

Gianfranco Mancini


message 22: by Shaina (new)

Shaina Gracious of you, to have secondhand embarrassment for her. Lol. You crack me up. Oh and I think that’s when you get stronger drinks or start on chocolate. I’m not sure.


message 23: by Anja (new)

Anja This is my all time favorite Stephen King! If you liked the narrative and story telling style, you might also enjoy Rage or Joyland of his. If you can call it "enjoy" with King novels. Haha


message 24: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Nat | thevoiceofthewolf ☽ wrote: "Dita wrote: "This one is really really good! I hope you give it a try!"

I've put it on my Want to read shelf... so I'm trying to keep it in mind among the ohter 700-something books :D"


Ha, I so get that!


message 25: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Gianfranco wrote: ""

LOL!


message 26: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Shaina wrote: "Gracious of you, to have secondhand embarrassment for her. Lol. You crack me up. Oh and I think that’s when you get stronger drinks or start on chocolate. I’m not sure."

I'm a giver...LOL!


message 27: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Anja wrote: "This is my all time favorite Stephen King! If you liked the narrative and story telling style, you might also enjoy Rage or Joyland of his. If you can call it "enjoy" with King novels. Haha"

I have read them both and I agree!!


message 28: by Sandra(Bee) (new) - added it

Sandra(Bee) Great review! I may have to read this one


message 29: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Sandra wrote: "Great review! I may have to read this one"

You should!


message 30: by Yun (new)

Yun Great review, Dita! Glad you love this one! I still haven't read any Stephen King yet, but I have a few on my TBR. Hope you enjoy your vacay! :)


message 31: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Yun wrote: "Great review, Dita! Glad you love this one! I still haven't read any Stephen King yet, but I have a few on my TBR. Hope you enjoy your vacay! :)"

Yun, this book is excellent! I hope you give it a whirl!


message 32: by LucWhatIRead (new) - added it

LucWhatIRead Your reviews don’t just expand my knowledge of the book...they continue to increase my Reading List too! 😣😂


message 33: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita LucWhatIRead wrote: "Your reviews don’t just expand my knowledge of the book...they continue to increase my Reading List too! 😣😂"

That is the nicest thing you could say to me! Thank you!


message 34: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Fabulous review!


message 35: by JanB (new)

JanB Beach reading is the best even if it requires stronger drinks 😉 Terrific reviews and interesting observation about THG.


Bridgett I read this for the first time as part of the Bachman Books compilation, when I was just a kid. The Long Walk, in particular, has stuck to me like glue. I've read it so many more times over the years. It's my all-time favorite SK story.


message 37: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Bridgett wrote: "I read this for the first time as part of the Bachman Books compilation, when I was just a kid. The Long Walk, in particular, has stuck to me like glue. I've read it so many more times over the yea..."

Me too, to every word of this! How cool!


message 38: by LucWhatIRead (new) - added it

LucWhatIRead Now that I just found out it was going to be an upcoming movie I have to bump this up the list just a bit more!


message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Enjoy your creepy vacation! Lol.


message 40: by Felicia (new)

Felicia What what what??? Not The Hunger Games! Say it ain't so.


message 41: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Michael wrote: "Enjoy your creepy vacation! Lol."

LMAO!


message 42: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Felicia wrote: "What what what??? Not The Hunger Games! Say it ain't so."

Dude, it's egregious thievery!


message 43: by Ann (new)

Ann This is a King I've never read for some reason, I must rectify that. You know, Suzanne Collins also ripped off the novel Battle Royale, did you ever read that?? If you haven't, it's a must!


back to top