Sofia's Reviews > A Sociedade Literária da Tarte de Casca de Batata

liked it
Recommended to Sofia by: Joana Lima
Read from November 03 to 05, 2011

Posted on my book blog.

I came across this book a year ago, in a meeting with fellow readers - not exactly a book club, just a community of readers who got together for their love of fantasy and literature - in which we exchanged books with one another. I had never heard of this book and had no idea what it was about, and I have to admit, its title didn't help (whatever a potato peel pie is, it must be dreadful). Now, more than a year later, I decided to give it a go, and it's nice that a book about the power of books to pull people together should have reached my hands this way.

I knew little about the occupation of Guernsey during WWII, and in my opinion one can never know enough about these things. Humanity seems to forget easily, and those of us who didn't live through the war should know what it was like. The stories about the survivors and the history of the place were easily the best part of the book, together with all the literary references.

Other parts I didn't like so much. The writing style didn't convince me as 1946 writing, but then again, I'm not exceptionally savant in those things and may be wrong. But the fact that it was written in epistolary form, although fun at times, didn't convince me, as all the letters sounded like they were written by the same person. At least they weren't ridiculously long, like I've seen in other epistolary novels.

Still, this was an entertaining read, with some funny and touching moments.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sociedade Literária da Tarte de Casca de Batata.

11/03/2011 page 99