Jennifer's Reviews > You Could Do Better

You Could Do Better by Stephanie Lehmann

May 27, 2008

did not like it
Recommended for: NO ONE. EVER.

I hated this book. I mean, deep in my dark little heart.

My main issue with it was the heroine, who I found to be the least likable main character since Mein Kampf. There is nothing endearing about this woman. She's shallow, television-obsessed, and has a sense of entitlement that dwarfs that of Prince William. She cannot turn a reality show off long enough to get a proposal from her boyfriend.

Beyond the fact I hated the main character, a general word of warning for people considering reading this: if you aren't fluently conversant in modern television, particularly sitcoms and reality television, huge numbers of the references herein will mean absolutely nothing to you. Since the shallow bimbo the book revolves around is morbidly obsessed with TV, all of her references hinge on characters, and most of the time they meant nothing to me. After awhile I stopped googling people, realising I really just didn't care.

In the end of the book, this woman gets far more than she deserves. If you like books, avoid this work as you would a rabid dog. If you like television more than literature, this is probably your speed, but you wouldn't be on this site anyhow. I'd give this work less than one star, but I can't figure out how.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Could Do Better.