Sheila's Reviews > Minotaur

Minotaur by Phillip W. Simpson

2039269

bookshelves: middle-grade, young-adult, mythology, mystery, relationships

Greek myths aren’t just for scholars, and Phillip Simpson’s Minotaur isn’t just for kids. But this is a cool reimagining and vivid retelling of a young man’s coming of age in the time of legend. Heroes are human (but strong), and monsters… well, this monster at least is mostly human as well. Gods might make better fathers than some men. And relationships, like friendship, carry the bad as well as the good, because they’re real.

Most readers will know the legend where Greeks youths are given in tribute each year, to be devoured in the labyrinth where the Minotaur lives. Perhaps they’ll recognize other names too in this novel. But readers who’ve never heard the myths will pick up the story quickly as elderly poet Ovid listens and interjects what he thinks he knows into the tale. (Ah, how nicely plotted—the old man who doesn’t know it all!) But Ast has a story to tell that’s not quite the same as the one we’ve heard, and the reader is gripped from beginning to end, eager to know more and totally absorbed in fascinating detail and delight.

In our modern world, where “Truth often suffers for the sake of entertainment,” this truly entertaining novel might be wisely thought-provoking too. It’s highly recommended.

Disclosure: I was given a copy and I offer my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Minotaur.

Started Reading