Kathy Karch's Reviews > Thunderhead

Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman

** spoiler alert ** How did I not already write a review for this fantastic sequel to Scythe?! Well, here we go:

I would argue that Thunderhead was an even better book than the first book in this series, and that's a rare thing to find in the world of trilogies (I'm assuming this is going to be a trilogy and not a... what the heck do you call a four book -ology? Quadrilogy? Sheesh, what an awkward word.)

I digress. Thunderhead picks up several months after the point where Scythe ends. There are many elements of this book that Schusterman did fantastically well. I'll start with the thing I found most impressive: his handling of an omniscient POV. The chapters tend to jump from character to character, and it's easy to think that the book is written in limited serial third person, but it isn't. It's actually written using an omniscient POV, with the POV emphasis placed on a different character in each chapter. He did a brilliant job with this. Well done!

The characters really started to come into their own in this book. That's something else Schusterman does well. Not that the characterizations were lacking in Scythe. It's just that in this book, both Citra (now more Scythe Anastasia) and Rowan Damisch are developed in a more multifaceted manner, and the new character, Grayson, was a welcome addition to the cast and opened up to readers a whole other aspect of the world previously unexplored. Speaking of previously unexplored, several supporting characters from Scythe get a lot of time on the page and readers are given the chance to get to know them much better, thereby coming to know the whole world in more detail and nuance.

I must admit, I'm struggling to get into the main villain of this series.

SPOILER TO FOLLOW!!

Goddard is brought back as the main villain, despite having been decapitated at the end of the last book. This felt like a cheap trick to me. Like something you might expect of a cheezy daytime soap opera. I have to wonder if that was Schusterman's plan from the outset, or did he think of it later and architect an explanation to let it work, because he failed to drop any hints at the end of Scythe that maybe Goddard and some of his crew weren't quite as deceased as everyone thought. Had he done that, I would have willingly gone along with this storyline. As it stands, it felt too forced.

The Thunderhead becomes an active character in this book (hence the title). All I have to say about this benevolent overseer is this: ripe for a psychotic break. We shall see.

I can't remember the last time an ending to a book left me so breathless and excited. I highly recommend Thunderhead, and I can't wait for the next book in the series. There is a major plot development that has yet to be explored. What shall Rowan and Scythe Faraday find when they visit the Land of Nod?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunderhead.

February 22, 2018 – Started Reading