Indie Wish List's Reviews > Saving Me

Saving Me by Sadie Allen

The cast of characters in this book was amazing. So much depth in so little pages. All characters were dynamic, and some comparisons were made between different cliques that I liked to see, showing that mean people were in all walks of life, just as good people were. At one point, Ally, the female protagonist, calls attention to this and shames someone on their biased opinion. It was one of the best, most profound moments in this book.

The book starts with Ally about to do something really horrible. Her dad was such a jerk. OMG, I did not like that man at all. If that was my dad, I would have throat punched him. Her mom didn’t help, didn’t really seem to see a problem with Ally’s dad’s behavior told her. However, her mom started to kick some major butt as the book progressed. I liked her mom a lot!

Anyway, something, or I should say someone, happens to make Ally stop. That someone was amazing. So down to earth, so in tuned with who they are. Sterling, that someone, gave Ally reasons to live, and I loved how inventive Allen was with this! So sweet, cute, and funny.

Ally goes through a transformation throughout this book. It gets pretty weepy in some areas, but oh so funny in others. Mixed in with that is a whole lotta drama, from teenage sex to mean girl snark. This book has a lot of everything a teenage girl goes through.

What I like most is that, though Ally was popular and beautiful, her inner self was just as beautiful. She wasn’t petty, she didn’t bring people down to build herself up, and when she said something, it was important, wise beyond her years. Saying that, I know people are going to say, “If she was so wise, why would she try to kill herself?” Well, how others treat you can break you down. The old sticks and stones saying is BS. Words hurt as much as actions, and Ally had both of those beaten into her, among other issues.

A dramatic and uplifting read, I know Saving Me is going to stay with me for a while.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Me.

February 22, 2018 – Started Reading