Angela M's Reviews > Our Homesick Songs

Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper

bookshelves: edelweiss-reviews, netgalley-reviews

Quiet writing, seemingly simple language yet so much more always gets me

“Out on the dark green night water, said Finn, there was a mermaid. And, because mermaids need to, it sang. Sad songs, homesick songs. Night after night, a hundred thousand, fish. And the only one who could hear it was a girl. .......and it got louder and louder until it was louder than the wind, until...Until she saw it wasn’t a mermaid. It was Dad. It was our dad. Singing. .....And then? asked Cora. And then everything, said Finn.”

This is a story of a place, the fishing village called Big Running, in Newfoundland, almost desolate now that the fish are gone. This is a story of a fragile family, the Connor family in crisis, almost broken by how their lives have changed now that the fish are gone. There’s sadness over the impending loss of the only home they have known when the fish are gone and the people begin to leave. But there’s alway music - the songs, mermaids perhaps, but magic in the songs no matter who is singing or playing them, and mostly the hope of ten year old Finn who wants to stay and the hope of his fourteen year old sister, Cora, who wants to leave that made this such a beautiful story.

The story moves back and forth in time from the present of 1992 to the early 1970’s when Martha and Aiden met in the time when the fish were plentiful. Even then, there is sorrow and loss of another kind - those lost at sea and those who left. This novel appears to be based on the collapse of the cod fishing industry in Newfoundland in 1992 when thousands of people lost work and the only way of life they knew. It reflects the impact on this family which is reflective I would think of how so many people were affected. Beautiful, thought provoking, and one I’ll remember.

I received an advanced copy of this book from Simon & Schuster through Edelweiss and NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Homesick Songs.

February 22, 2018 – Shelved
February 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 27, 2018 – Started Reading
June 29, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley-reviews
June 29, 2018 – Shelved as: edelweiss-reviews
June 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)

Krista I had to go out an request this on NetGalley when I saw that you'd rated this 5 stars. :-)

Angela M Hope you love it too , Krista.

message 3: by Jeannie (new) - added it

Jeannie Nice review, Angela.

message 4: by Connie (new) - added it

Connie Lovely review, Angela. I liked Emma Hooper's "Etta and Otto...".

message 5: by Amalia (new)

Amalia Gavea Beautiful review, Angela!!

Angela M Thanks, Jeannie, Connie and Amalia!
Connie , enjoyed “Etta and Otto...” also.

message 7: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen Nice review, Angela.

Marialyce Sounds quite lovely! So glad to always see those five stars, Angela!

Diane S ☔ And a beautiful, stirring review.

Angela M Thanks, Kate, Marialyce and Diane!

Cathrine ☯️ Sounds beautiful and sad, except for those 5 stars. Those are never sad.

Angela M C, it is beautiful and sad , but I was happy to have read a 5 star book as sad as it was.

message 13: by Brianna (new) - added it

Brianna Looks absolutely fantastic - definitely on my wishlist now! Thank you for the fabulous review.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Angela. Just beautiful. I can’t wait to read it and have a feeling I will love it too. I just saw your currently reading in my digest, too, and I have that one coming as well! I can’t keep up with you! 😊

Angela M Brianna, thanks very much ! I hope you love it too .

message 16: by Angela M (last edited Jun 30, 2018 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela M Jennifer, thanks , friend ! I think you will love it too . I think you read more than I do ! I get through 2 or 3 books a week, but I am retired!
Started Three Things About Elsie but might take a little longer since I’m starting Silent Hearts with Diane and Esil tomorrow.

Cheri Lovely, lovey review, Angela, it brought it all back to me, and made me miss living in those pages. I'm so glad you loved this, too.

Angela M Cheri, thanks. I really loved Finn and Cora and the writing !!!

Karen Beautiful review Angela! I will be reading this!😊

Angela M Karen, thanks so much . It’s a remarkable story and I hope you love it !

SueLucie Lovely review, Angela, of one of my favourite books this year.

message 22: by Laysee (new)

Laysee Loved your beautiful review, Angela. Sounds like a sad yet magical book.

message 23: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy What a wonderful review Angela!
Added it

Angela M Sue , Laysee and Wendy , thank you all very much . A beautiful read !

message 25: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Angela, this sounds like one I would really enjoy. Beautifully written review! (And an add-to-my-wishlist for me! 😊)

Angela M Jaline, I think given your love of music, you will enjoy this book .Thank you!

Sharon Metcalf Thanks for your lovely review Angela. I was excited to see your 5 stars. I was even more excited to discover it was a Read Now title on NetGalley so I'll get to this this soon enough.

Angela M Sharon, it’s a lovely story ! I hope you enjoy it !! Thanks so much .

message 29: by Howard (new) - added it

Howard I have never read a book set in Newfoundland that I didn't like. And your beautiful review tells me that this would be another one. I've added it to my tottering pile.

Angela M Howard , thanks so much . What made this even more meaningful is that what this family goes through , no doubt reflects s reality.

message 31: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Your review is quite moving and the except from the book is lovely. I will be looking forward to reading this one.

Angela M Sara, thanks. The story is really very moving and I think you’ll enjoy it .

message 33: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Veciana-Suarez This sounds fascinating. Two of my favorite books take place in Newfoundland -- Shipping News and Sweetland -- so I'm definitely giving this a try.

message 34: by Angela M (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela M Ana, I also loved Shipping News and have hope to read Sweetland one of these days !

message 35: by Howard (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:31PM) (new) - added it

Howard Ana wrote: "This sounds fascinating. Two of my favorite books take place in Newfoundland -- Shipping News and Sweetland -- so I'm definitely giving this a try."

Shopping News -- or Shipping News?

"The Bird Artist" by Howard Norman is another good one set in Newfoundland.

message 36: by Angela M (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela M Haha - of course I meant Shipping News ! Will fix that and check out your recommendation. Thanks, Howard!

message 37: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen A 5 star review. Thanks Angela - Will have to add this one as it sounds like one I'll be thankful for reading.

Angela M Jen, it’s really good!

message 39: by Fran (new)

Fran Great review, Angela!

Angela M Thanks, Fran!

Bianca Beautiful review. I have this as well, I don't know when I'll read it as I've got quite a few library books arriving at the same time and I'm greatly distracted by Wimbledon and the kids are on school break for 2 weeks.

Christina - Traveling Sister Lovely review Angela! Very well written :)

Angela M Thanks. Bianca. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when you get to it .

Angela M Thanks , Christina!

message 45: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Veciana-Suarez Howard wrote: "Ana wrote: "This sounds fascinating. Two of my favorite books take place in Newfoundland -- Shipping News and Sweetland -- so I'm definitely giving this a try."

Shopping News -- or Shipping News?
..."

Definitely The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx.

Angela M Of course , Ana, it was a typo :)

message 47: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Veciana-Suarez I have a friend who actually went to the place Proulx wrote part of the book. A literary pilgrimage of sorts.

Angela M That sounds like a wonderful trip !

message 49: by JanB (last edited Jul 02, 2018 10:16PM) (new)

JanB Angela, another wonderful review - you do have a way with words :-)

Angela M Jan , thanks so much ! 😊