Asha's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Nov 02, 2011

Read in November, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I enjoyed this book but I'm a complete sucker for emotional dramas. I thought it was well written but sometimes I was so caught up in the words I confused who was narrating. I saw the movie before I read the book so perhaps that is why I dislike the ending, but either way it really upset me. No child should have to go through what either of the girls did. I feel like the book took the Hollywood ending by having Anna die so Kate could live. I think Kate had given it enough thought, and should have been allowed to choose if she wanted surgery or not. I think it was completely selfish of the parents to not consider their childrens' feelings or beliefs. My biggest issue, however, is with Anna's lawyer. Someone who is Epileptic, especially to the point of needing an assistance dog, should have never been driving, especially because he'd had a seizure so close to the time of the car accident. People who have seizures (at least here in California, I may be wrong about other states) have to wait a full year of being seizure free before they can drive again. It just really pulled me out of the book and made the ending even more unlikable to me.
Overall it was a good book, I laughed, I cried etc. but the ending kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.