C.G. Drews's Reviews > The King's Men

The King's Men by Nora Sakavic

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2018, contemporary, read-2018, ya-male-narrators, young-adult, read-2019, reread, read-2020
Read 3 times. Last read January 18, 2020 to January 26, 2020.

read 3 [january 2020]
so my yearly reread of ATFG is done and now I'm supposed to be sensible and tackle my actual tbr pile for once. 😪 My heart still clings to this series for found-family and for broken kids learning to love and trust and cling on even though they're drowning. And ngl, the mafia parts were brutal and cold and thrilling. I forgot Andrew only says like 9 words the whole book though and it makes me a little sad.

this series is a mess of characters who have attitudes of black ice and cut glass, and they make unforgivable decisions and can be problematic and cruel...but they're learning to be better. that's what I ask for in a character arc: growth and bitter fighting for change. these Foxes 😭 Neil. Andrew. My heart.

read 2 [february 2019]
i can't b re a t h e. Honestly this series has just caught my heart and hustled its way in to take a firm place on my favourites of all time list. Yes it's messy and imperfect. But it's flawed in such a raw way and the characters are just loveable wretches...I can't evenvennnn. I love Neil. I love his attitude, his vicious need to cling to love, and the way he and Andrew find some peace within each other, something to fight for when the world has only ever left them bloody.

UGH I LOVE IT.

((i miss it badly already...is a yearly reread needed now? i think yes))

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧
Read 1 | February 2018

Well hi I caN'T BREATHE JUST GIVE ME A MOMENT. I think my heart might explode but IT'S FINE, EVERYTHING IS FINE. (Just kidding it's not fine ajdfkasld it's bloody brilliant.) Look, I like this series. I adore it. It's full of messy broken characters who find people to hold onto and that's just the kind of story that I love every. single. time.

(I mean, it's even about sport?!? And I'm as sporty as an upsidedown turtle, BUT YET. Here I am.)

** Also full warning but I'm going to name the ship, and it's not really a spoiler, but it might be because it's SO SLOW BURN that it takes 3 books to really happen. So if you don't want to know who Neil ends up with...I warned ya mate.

There's way too much to freaking say, so here's a list of things I loved:
• EVERY FRIKKIN THING
• haha okay shh I'll be more specific
• so the character development (particularly of Andrew and Neil and Kevin) was so intoxicatingly amazing and I'm a fan
• I love how it features mental illness and actually tackles it head on and doesn't romanticise it
• It's FUNNY. I laughed out loud so many times
• and i squeaked...yeah I don't know who I am now either
• it's super long but somehow i wanted every page and more
• it gets very dark, like darker than the 2nd book and that's saying something, so get ready to lose your mind
• also this author does NOT HOLD BACK so people are going to get hurt
• I HURT
• I HURT A LOT
• Coach Wymack is the ultimate mother and I love him
• the team having a sleep over with Neil in the middle to keep him safe probably broke my heart
• I even couldn't look away from the game section?!?
• tHE ENDING WAS SO TENSE
• and the ship omg Andrew and Neil are a gift to this world and nearly made me cry
• (also can I say that I'm so so impressed at how much consent was pointed at in this book??? obviously Andrew's PTSD makes it a big deal for him, but the fact that this, basically an NA book full of aggressive mouthy athletes, stopped everything and every. time. waited for consent...it just made me really proud. I wish ALL books would do this. Always)
• also every Fox character was precious
• and like this is a FAMILY and i love them
• also Neil gets so freaking hurt and just -- afjdskladfd
• this book
• I'm actually devastated it's over that is the only thing
• wait till I fall into the fanart on pinterest, you'll never see me again

I think it's worth mentioning that this isn't the kind of book where you condone all the characters' actions. They do hella problematic things. Andrew still needs to chill the heck out and some things he does are NOT ok. But, like I said in my review of bk 2: I think these characters are messy and sometimes awful and often times wrong, but I think the book showed them brokenly and realistically. Not necessarily as always good people.

And the character development just makes me weep. I like. So much. Also the slowburn of the romance was perfect and painful and ahhh. My frikkin ship.

I'm so glad I read this series! And I read it all in just a few weeks which is unreasonably weird for me, who loves procrastinating series. The characters were intoxicatingly addictive and the storyline was bloody and frightening and super dark and full of broken people who were no less fierce and loving for the sourness life dealt them. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF NOW. SCREAM PROBABLY. (I miss them already.)

“There is no ‘this’. This is nothing.”
“And I am nothing,” Neil prompted. When Andrew gestured confirmation, Neil said, “And as you’ve always said, you want nothing.”
Andrew stared stone-faced back at him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King's Men.

Quotes C.G. Liked

“This,” Neil flicked his finger to indicate the two of them, “isn’t worthless.”
“There is no ‘this’. This is nothing.”
Andrew stared stone-faced back at him.”
Nora Sakavic, The King's Men

“Andrew kissed him like this was a fight with their lives on the line, like his world stopped and started with Neil’s mouth.”
Nora Sakavic, The King's Men

February 22, 2018 – Shelved
February 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 24, 2018 – Started Reading
February 24, 2018 –
6.0% "Okay but I'm struggling to put them into Hogwarts houses (um obviously this is important). HELP ME OUT?

Neil: Slytherin????
Andrew: has to be Gryffindor
Nicky: 100% Hufflepuff
Kevin: I DON'T KNOW; he's ambitious but not cunning so I don't think Slytherin? Maybe obsession = Ravenclaw?
Coach Wymack: HUFFLEPUFF
Matt: Gryffindor
Aaron: I got nothing lmao"
February 25, 2018 –
43.0% "i caN'T FEEL MY heaRTBEAT i'm having an emotion or two or eighty nine"
February 26, 2018 –
64.0% "this book just wants to punch me in the frIKKIN CHEST i can't breathe"
February 26, 2018 –
65.0% "UM THERE'S FAN ART.

SOMEONE SAVE ME.

THERE'S SO MUCH ADORABLE SHIPPY FAN ART ON PINTEREST AND I JUST"
February 28, 2018 –
77.0% "“This,” Neil flicked his finger to indicate the two of them, “isn’t worthless.”
“There is no ‘this’. This is nothing.”
“And I am nothing, And as you’ve always said, you want nothing."

#D E A D"
February 28, 2018 –
93.0% "I'm not ready for this to be over. I don't want to say goodbye to my delinquent faMILY OF FOXES. 😭😭😭"
March 1, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 1, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2019 – Started Reading
February 18, 2019 –
page 40
10.81% "Wymack: What are we gonna do this year?!
Dan: do our best on the court!
Kevin: win all our games!
Matt: show our enemies who's boss!
Neil: [crying quietly] make friends"
February 18, 2019 –
page 50
13.51% "Wymack: [growling] Neil, you need to take care of yourself.
Neil: I'm fine I can still play I--
Andrew: [smacks Neil]
Neil: [gasping]
Wymack: uh thanks, Andrew, for helping make my point...I think..."
February 21, 2019 –
page 90
24.32% "forever here for the way Neil is allergic to therapy and getting help, but insists Andrew and Aaron go to therapy and get help ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
February 23, 2019 –
page 180
48.65% "most couples: "I love you and need you in my life. I'll go wherever you go...I'll be there for you."

Andrew after he kisses Neil: "I'll push you off this roof."
Neil: "fine but i'll drag you down with me""
February 24, 2019 –
February 28, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 18, 2020 – Started Reading
January 18, 2020 –
page 55
14.86% "Wymack: I can't tell if you're being stupid or obtuse about your relationship with Andrew.
Neil: what relationship????
Wymack: [low and angry] i'm not paid enough for this"
January 19, 2020 –
page 100
27.03% "Neil: hey so Kaitlyn we need to talk about our boyfriends' issues
Kaitlyn: ??? OUR boyfriends???
Neil: I said we need to talk about your boyfriend and Andrew
Neil: that's exactly what I said the first time"
January 24, 2020 –
page 300
81.08% ""Andrew didn't want to follow you either," Wymack said. "Look how that turned out."

hello may we introduce Wymack, the most smugly satisfied shipper of Andriel."
January 26, 2020 – Shelved as: read-2020
January 26, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Angela C OH NO. I never thought to look up fan art for this series, but now that you've drawn my attention to it I can't stop! :'-(

C.G. Drews Goodbye down the endless rabbit hole. 😂 There is no escape.

MaryGrace I finished reading this last month. I didn't know how much it was going to consume my soul. Welcome to the club

Sabrina THIS BOOK KILLED ME IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE. I WILL FOREVER LOVE IT.

Jessica i’m halfway through this book now and i don’t want it to end omg

C.G. Drews @MaryGrace: Omg there is basically no escape until you've read them all.

@Sabrina: SAME. I'M VAGUELY FLAPPING ABOUT IN AGONY THAT THERE ARE NO MORE

@Jessica: I know how you feel!!

Sally ☾ OH MY GOD THIS. SERIES. I AM SO HAPPY YOU LOVED IT!! I still cannot get these characters out of my mind and it's been almost a year, I just love them all so much ;-;

message 8: by Len (new) - rated it 5 stars

Len Evans Jr A lot of this book was exquisite torture for me to read... yet I just could not put it down... this trilogy hit me harder than anything I had read in the past several years. The characters became so real for me it felt like they were my family. It's been months since I read it and yet I'm still thinking about them all.

Daniela Balboa I'm forever in love with the series too! You should read the extra content the author has in her tumblr- there are LOTS OF IT. http://korakos.tumblr.com/fox

message 10: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara OMG i read it because of your review and DO NOT regret it. I WANT MORE OF THEM ***lots of crying faces**

Angela C Daniela wrote: "I'm forever in love with the series too! You should read the extra content the author has in her tumblr- there are LOTS OF IT. http://korakos.tumblr.com/fox"

I was going to mention this as well, Daniela beat me to it. :-)

There's lots of really interesting info on Sakavic's Tumblr, including alternate plot lines that Sakavic ended up discarding before the final version. For example, in previous drafts (view spoiler). Crazy, right?

message 12: by K Roma (new) - added it

K Roma I currently reading this series now and its bloody killing me...the characters, the sass, the suspense!!!

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Khalida: oh so much agreement...😭😂in the best possible way!

message 14: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Yes to all of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexis marie i repeatedly said "YES" and "PREACH" as i read your review lmaoo - you are accurate in so many ways