Michael Alonso's Reviews > Beyond Dead

Beyond Dead by Jordaina Sydney Robinson

it was ok

My biggest gripe with this book is that the version I got called it a "COZY" mystery...

Has the author ever read a cozy mystery before? Because the book is closer to a hard-boiled mystery than a cozy one, just because they make jokes doesn't make a cozy mystery.

A cozy mystery is more light-hearted, more "PG", with death, violence and swearing set to the minimum amount you can get away with in a mystery novel, while this book has several violent deaths, sure they still happen "off page", but the death count is way too high. Also, the MC seems to WANT to break every law to solve this mystery.

Not to mention the MC is so whiny at the start of the story I'm not sure how I manged to finish the book.

The world that is introduced is barely explained, why do the dead have to get a job in the afterlife? Why does the MC have to move random items? And more importantly, why does she suddenly not care when she thinks she might be killing people with these random item movements?

The author failed at world building since she creates a whole new concept of afterlife and barely explains it, or what she does explain doesn't make sense like the special hospital for the dead who haven't realized they are dead yet. How does having both living and dead people help them at all? I'd just be confused if only some people could see me, maybe the author realized the idea didn't make that much sense because in the end a medium that knew the dead man just walks in and explains everything to him.

Oh right... the "other" mystery, a medium practically forces the MC to uncover how one of her clients died, only to find out he died in an accident and was not murdered by the victim's wife, like everybody suspected and to make things even more silly, the medium joins the woman she thought was a murderer in a new venture and sequel bait.

To sum it up, it's too hardboiled to be "cozy", the MC is insufferable, the world is not explained or justified and it's all a big mess... an entertaining mess, but still a mess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Dead.

February 21, 2018 – Started Reading
February 21, 2018 – Shelved
February 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Tealeaf I'm glad I read your review. I didn't get too far into the first chapter when I found myself wondering what kind of cosy mystery this was. To avoid spoilers I don't read reviews beforehand. This one doesn't seem worth the time.