Aine's Reviews > The Dark Realm

1968002
Nov 02, 2011

bookshelves: own-ebook, young-adult
Read from February 13 to 21, 2012

I have to admit when I picked up Feyland: The Dark Realmby Anthea Sharp I was nervous. While I love books about faeries, I'm really picky about the use of folklore. Thankfully, Anthea Sharp knows her lore.

Our two main characters are Jennet Carter and Tam Linn. I love the names. They come straight from the Ballad of Tam Lin, an old Scottish ballad. In the prologue, Jennet is playing the final level of the new Full-D sim video game, Feyland. It's not available yet, but her father is a developer of the company, so she is the first person to play it. And, hopefully, to win it. But the final level brings her face to face with the Unseelie Queen. And... she loses. The dark queen takes a bit of her soul. Sounds interesting, yes? Only the energy the dark queen takes is real. But she has a chance to get herself back. But she needs to find a champion. On to chapter one. Months pass. Jennet and her father move after a terrible tragedy within the company where one of their own, Thomas Rimer (another name I love), dies. The game is off-limits to Jennet, but that won't hold her back. She meets Tam and invites him to game.

Another thing that caused my initial unease was the addition of gaming. I'm not a gamer. Well, I rock out like a fool with my Guitar Hero, but the sim thing is not for me. Also... technology and faeries... it didn't sound like it would mesh. But when Jennet and Tam sat down to play, they didn't just go into game. They entered Faerie. Puck was a great addition, and I loved seeing brownies, will o' wisps, and more faeries.

This story was interesting and beautifully told. It definitely surpassed my expectations. The use of folklore was fantastic. A lot of what happened I guessed, and knowing the Ballad of Tam Lin, I guessed the ending, but that didn't take any of the enjoyment out this wonderful story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Realm.

02/13/2012
9.0% "Interesting start. : )"
02/18/2012
26.0% "<3 Tam"
02/18/2012
44.0% "Really enjoying this one."
02/19/2012