Emily May's Reviews > Tempest

Tempest by Julie Cross

did not like it
bookshelves: arc, young-adult, 2011

I hate giving out one star ratings. I really hate it. And thankfully it doesn't occur too often because most books have something redeeming about them, something that I can think "yeah, the book wasn't great, but I enjoyed that one bit". I'm afraid I couldn't find this at all in Tempest. Harsh as it may seem, this is one of those novels that I honestly have no clue how it got published. It made no sense, the characters were one-dimensional, parts were misogynistic... and to top it all off, it was boring. Annoying is forgivable, so is the unexplained, but boring? Big no no.

Oh yeah, and there's something important I should point out. Try as I might to finish this, I only made it to page 300 out of 358 (which I think was pretty decent for a book that didn't hold my interest past page one). But anyway, I'm going to talk about how nothing made any kind of sense and I suppose there is a chance that sense was introduced in the last 58 pages and I missed it by giving up too soon. Oh well. What I read made no sense. It was pointless. So a guy can go back in time and do stuff that he never did before, but then when he returns to the future nothing has been affected by him changing the events of history. As in, whatever he did never happened - so what's the point?

And also, is he really going into the past if what happens doesn't affect the present? Or is he, alternatively, going into a different past/dimension? Perhaps this is explained after page 300, let me know in the comments if it is.

Plus, I'm not sure why that half-arsed romance had to happen. But this is the young adult genre and I suppose I should expect something equally annoying and completely devoid of chemistry by now. What's the point of selling the romantic element in your novel if it is dull as dishwater? I have no idea. I just know that there was nothing about Jackson and Holly's relationship that interested me. And, by the way, if Jackson can go into the past and interact with people without them remembering it in the present, why didn't he just try asking his dad about his strange abilities sooner? I know I would have if I were him.

I think I knew I wouldn't like this book from very near the beginning (chapter one or two) when a character is simply dismissed as being horrible and bitchy with all her "feminist lectures". Gosh, who cares about women and their rights, anyway?? But even that I could have forgotten if it wasn't for some more misogyny later on when Jackson is reluctant to take Holly's virginity: "You want to dump me for some loose chick?" Real nice.

And then this nice little piece:

"I just met this chick last night at my friend's party. She's mega hot and a total airhead."
"Exactly your type right?"
"Yeah, but only if the flakiness is genuine. Not that pretend-I'm-stupid shit. You know it's going to bite you in the ass later. Besides, I love messing with people who just don't get it."

How I wish I could tell you that this interaction was to demonstrate the absolute jackassery of the character. But it's actually brushed off as a bit of good fun by the protagonist. Must I say anything else about this book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest.

November 2, 2011 – Shelved
December 9, 2011 – Started Reading
December 10, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)

Crystal Starr Light I can't wait to hear what you think of this...it's in my tbr list too!

Emily May Hmm, I'm a little put off by the pointlessness of the time travel right now. If nothing in the present is affected by travelling into the past - what's the point? I'm hoping I find out soon!

Lyndsey I got a copy of this but I don't know if I'm going to read it. I've heard bad things and that there are a lot of inconsistencies with the time traveling as well. Shame because it looked so promising.

message 4: by Simcsa (new)

Simcsa One star?! Well, I'm happy I kicked it off my to-read list. It gets quite bad reviews.. :/

message 5: by Maya (new)

Maya oh well, I gave up on this already some time ago thanks to other reviews, and yours just confirms that decision.

I still stand by my opinion that Ruby Red is by far the better YA time travel romance series (yes, I'm jealous because I want Ruby Red to sell just as much and get some Hollywood budget movie as well XD )

Wendy Darling So agree with your review, Emily. :/

message 7: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 11, 2011 04:57PM) (new) - added it

Tatiana This is so odd about time travel having no effect on the future. Doesn't it suck all the suspense out of the whole concept?

Emily May @Maya I plan on reading Ruby Red sometime in the near future, I do keep hearing great things about it :)

@Tatiana Exactly, it's just so pointless! :(

message 9: by rameau (new) - added it

rameau Boring, ineffectual time travel? Why would anyone write such a book?

Removes the book from tbr-shelf. Thanks for the save.

Emily May "Why would anyone write such a book?"

I keep asking myself the same question, it's such a bizarre idea.

Crystal Starr Light Ugh, now I so dread actually reading this book...thanks for a great review (and for prepping me for the fail I am going to see)!

message 12: by mari (new) - rated it 2 stars

mari nuvem After your review I actually feel sorry for buying this book =( and I was about to start reading it, too...

Kendra Sigh. Wish I read this before I bought the book based on a favorable magazine review. I'm at the halfway point and I just can't finish it...

Emily May I know, I'm surprised at all the positive reviews of this, Kendra :/

Fireebooks you're idiot

message 16: by rameau (new) - added it

rameau Fireebooks wrote: "you're idiot"

No. You are.

Can we go back to acting like adults now?

Emily May Fireebooks wrote: "you're idiot"

LOL. Just LOL.

message 18: by Anachronist (new)

Anachronist Fireebooks wrote: "you're idiot"

Such a comment just proves your own idiocy. Have a nice day!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Fireebooks wrote: "you're idiot"

Really? Really?? Seriously?

Laura Actually, the protagonist says, immediately after the 16 year old character makes that stupid comment, "I wanted to tell him how lame his dating philosophy was. It's very clear by the way the rest of the group treat this character that he is not to be taken seriously and that he is shallow and not someone the girls who actually know him would ever consider dating. So I'm not sure where you got that from... I'm halfway through, started it this morning and can't put it down. I'll have to see if some of the other things you've said strike me the same way as I go.

Emily May This is not a "lame dating philosophy", it's misogyny. There's a big difference. It's fine that you like it, a lot of readers today love books that put women down. If you haven't read Beautiful Disaster, you should check it out next.

Laura It's an interesting discussion, and I didn't mean any disrespect, just wanted to give the author her due for trying to write the realistic reaction of a teenager whose purpose is to get his life back, so his reaction to this side character guy whom he hopes to only know for a while is muted, but he doesn't altogether brush him off either.

I think it would be odd if a 19 year old boy (the protagonist) thought in those terms-- his description of "lame" is more fitting to his age and still shows his disapproval. He recognizes it's not healthy, it's not good.

I think it's hard for writers today to write realistically, which means including awful people who often get away with awful things, as they do in real life and balancing that with a protagonist readers can relate to who doesn't condone the behavior of those other characters.

Clearly the author has written this guy to be a jerk, and we all know he's a jerk, the MC and the other girls working with him roll their eyes and know he's a jerk, but boy, don't we all know a guy like this? Sad to say I do... but writing it that way is a far cry from a book that puts women down and glorifies it, don't you think?

Emily May I understand what you're saying, I much prefer honest depictions of characters even if this means they are portrayed negatively. The biggest problem I have with Tempest is that it focuses on a romance that involves a boy treating a girl like dirt and her putting up with it anyway.

Seeing as this book is mostly going to be read by teenage girls, I don't think that's a healthy message. This is what I think puts women down to suggest that it's perfectly natural to accept this kind of behaviour from your boyfriend. To me, that says it's okay for him to be a jerk.

Laura Just to clarify, because I'm naive and it's hard to catch tone on the internet-- are you seriously recommending Beautiful Disaster or is it a good example of misogynistic literature? I've never read it. I find that, unfortunately, a lot of YA lit tends this way-- there is a lot of emphasis on a girl's "need" for the boy. Seems like we've gone backwards a bit in that department. And it sells, like hotcakes.

Emily May Laura wrote: "Just to clarify, because I'm naive and it's hard to catch tone on the internet-- are you seriously recommending Beautiful Disaster or is it a good example of misogynistic literature? I've never rea..."

Yeah, my apologies, I was being sarcastic. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Laura Emily wrote: "Laura wrote: "Just to clarify, because I'm naive and it's hard to catch tone on the internet-- are you seriously recommending Beautiful Disaster or is it a good example of misogynistic literature? ..."
lol, it's cool. It makes for fun reviews, and you do write great reviews.

Emily May Thanks :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Meg wrote: "There were A Few Parts In The Book That I Think Could Have Been Written Differently But I Dont Think It Deserves 1 Star. "
Alright, I am not going to even point out the horrible grammatical style of your writing.
Meg, this is NOT your review. This is Emily's review. If you feel that it deserved more than 1 star, then please feel free to make your own review. You do not get to tell others how the book should be rated.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Meg wrote: "So Maybe She Should Be More Professional And Respectful And Not Write A Review About A Book She Hasn't Even Read! :) Did You Like All Her Grammatical Errors? Such As Jackassery And Half-Arsed? LOL"

So you are saying this reviewer should be more "professional" when you can't even type, and call others names when they tell you to please write your own review?

I Can Have An Opinion If I Want, And I Have The Right To State My Opinion If I Want.

And this reviewer has a right to her opinion. Your opinion is fine - like the book all you want. But you're trying to change someone else's opinion because you disagree with them.

You are new to this site, and you are going to find people who disagree with your opinions about books. It doesn't give you the right to tell them that their rating is wrong.
Please learn some manners and mature a bit before you come on here acting like a moron.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Meg, you are a troll. She didn't like the book. She did read the book. The book was so bad that she didn't want to finish it. Throwing a hissy fit and using UPPERCASE and quotes doesn't make your opinion any more valid.
You're done here.
Photobucket

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Meg, your comments are reading like what some 13 year old scene kid writes on MySpace when they find a Panic! At the Disco or My Chemical Romance lyric apt to their current situation. Yeesh.

message 32: by Kaede (new) - added it

Kaede Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Meg wrote: "Names? LOL! If She Actually Read The Book I wouldn't Care About Her Opinion! But It Isn't Right For Her To Tell People That Listen To Her "OPINION" That This Book Is Shitty When She Did..."

Pfft. Your picture is hilarious and sadly accurate.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Kaede wrote: "Pfft. Your picture is hilarious and sadly accurate."

Sadly, I have a whole library of troll pictures,because people love to join then attack those who tend to disagree with their fangirling. Bleh.

message 34: by Kaede (new) - added it

Kaede Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Kaede wrote: "Pfft. Your picture is hilarious and sadly accurate."

Well, what can you do? People are people.

message 35: by Stefani (new) - added it

Stefani Meg wrote: "Names? LOL! If She Actually Read The Book I wouldn't Care About Her Opinion! But It Isn't Right For Her To Tell People That Listen To Her "OPINION" That This Book Is Shitty When She Didn't Read It...."

She read 83.7% of the book...oh yeah, totally can't have an opinion. Guess what? Any reviewer can have any opinion about a book that they want! Even if she had read 0 pages, she can still think the book sucks. And you can still think the book is great. Who really cares? Is it burning your ass that someone dislikes your precious book? Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't make your opinion invalid you know. Although people who usually think that and freak out over differing opinions are ones who have no confidence in their own opinions.

But let's take an accounting over whether this person is a real burned ass fan or a troll. 1. Just joined this month. 2. Has no reviews and no ratings. 3. Somehow thinks that proper English is spelling By Capitalizing Every Word And Making Things Impossible To Read, which is good because they are largely incoherent anyway. 4. Seems to have almost no activity on the site except to troll this review.

Congratulations, I hereby pronounce you a troll. Consider yourself blocked and banned, and move along now.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Kaede wrote: "Well, what can you do? People are people. "

In Meg's case, ban her and move on. This is just getting sad.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't believe people allow negative book reviews to keep them up at night, or drive them into a troll comment-spewing angry rage. Bloody hell. Use negative or positive reviews to form a rounded opinion, like most people do.

message 39: by Kaede (new) - added it

Kaede Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Kaede wrote: "Well, what can you do? People are people. "

In Meg's case, ban her and move on. This is just getting sad."

*sigh* And look who deleted all her comments...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Photobucket

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Kaede wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Kaede wrote: "Well, what can you do? People are people. "

In Meg's case, ban her and move on. This is just getting sad."

*sigh* And look who deleted all her comments..."

Good riddance.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "You're calling a range of ladies in their twenties 'old bats' and insinuating they aren't right in the head because they didn't like a book you liked. Wow."

"

Me or Meg? :')

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "You're calling a range of ladies in their twenties 'old bats' and insinuating they aren't right in the head because they didn't like a book you lik..."

V, you know I love you!!! How could you doubt my affection?!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "You're calling a range of ladies in their twenties 'old bats' and insinuating they aren't right in the head because they didn..."

Aww, I knew you loved me really! Blame me being stupid and sleep-addled. (It's 3:50 here and they've decided to stomp up and down the dorm hallways and play a film loudly in the room next door.)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "You're calling a range of ladies in their twenties 'old bats' and insinuating they aren't right i..."
Time for bed!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "You're calling a range of ladies in their twenties 'old bats' and insinuati..."

Can't sleep without peace and quiet. :(

message 47: by Kaede (new) - added it

Kaede Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "Lyn (The Heartless) wrote: "Sei (Vanessa) wrote: "You're calling a range of ladies in their twent..."

A set of headphones, a closed door, and an annoyed scream of, "SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO SLEEP", always does the trick for me. :P ♥

Emily May Oh my... what happened while I was sleeping? LOL.
Thanks to everyone who stuck up for me here :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "Oh my... what happened while I was sleeping? LOL.
Thanks to everyone who stuck up for me here :)"

Oh, someone new thought they would tell you how to rate a book that she loved.

Julia If you thought this book was horrible, read Every Day. Now that was a horrible book.

« previous 1