Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy's Reviews > As She Fades

As She Fades by Abbi Glines

"Everything was different now. I was lost. Alone. I didn't know how to find myself. I needed Crawford. Knox worrying about me liking the wrong guy was ridiculous. I loved Crawford and I had my entire life. A pretty smile and incredible eyes weren't going to change that. I wasn't shallow."...

Vale and Crawford met as children. From friendship to a plan of life long commitment. The whole world was before them. Until the night of graduation, when an accident leaves Crawford comatose.

Vale sits day after day, waiting and hoping for Crawford to wake up. She’s sure when he does they’ll just pick up where they left off, and live happily ever after.

Even though she makes a new friend, Slate, she keeps him at a distance. There is no one but Crawford in her heart. She has the support of her close family, but it’s not enough. College will have to wait. Life will be on hold until Crawford wakes up.

After a little convincing Vale sees she needs to go on with her life. Crawford would want her to wouldn’t he? Her feelings are a mass of confusion as Slate drifts in and out of her life. As she starts her new life away from home, in range of Slate. Will the girl she once was become a different woman? "As She Fades" from a teenager into an adult things change, as they do for all of us.

What happens in the aftermath of that accident? A plot twist I never saw coming. So unexpected, so clever!

This young adult novel was heartbreaking, and at the same time Vale is learning that life isn’t always what you plan it to be. I really liked Vale, and her family and friends. Great characters and a fitting end.

Thank you Abbi Glines, Netgalley, and Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As She Fades.

February 20, 2018 – Started Reading