Shari's Reviews > The Way of the Witch

The Way of the Witch by Jan Siegel

liked it

A trilogy in one volume which is, perhaps, too much all at once. This was a long and dense read because of the author's delight in portraying long dreams in minutiae and honoring us with descriptive passages that went on for pages. Pages that actually moved the story along were few and far between because of this energy Siegel spent on 'telling.' Siegel's talent as a writer is evident. Her writing could be lyrical and beautiful, but the broad panoply of beings from a parallel dimension was the upshot of many subtexts that added clutter.

The greed for power of the 'dark side' that was so vicious and destructive just for the sake of chaos and death alone was so emphatic and constant, there was no light, no let-up. All this said, I do want to add that there were wonderful moments when Siegel would drop in surprising and thoughtful philosophical tropes on love and death, on intuition and one's sensitivities to phenomenon inferring that these might be seeds of an undeveloped "Gift." These insights that she gave us kept me moving on to the next page.

There were some absolutely wonderful characters, but too many of whom there was no relief from their joy in creating havoc and desolation. This genre of fantasy is not one of my favorites. I was intrigued by the abstract but I was hoping for something less battering on the senses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of the Witch.

February 20, 2018 – Started Reading