Orville Jenkins's Reviews > Love in the Face of Isis: Seven Prayer Strategies for the Crisis in the Middle East

Love in the Face of Isis by Lorraine Marie Varela

Lorraine Varela presents a practical challenge to Christians to take Jesus seriously and love ISIS in a practical way in our own attitudes. Even ISIS must be the object of love if we are to follow Jesus.

She focuses on numerous examples of terrorism and how those terrorized responded in love to ISIS persecutors and those about to murder them. Stories also relate conversions of Muslims, including ISIS members, in response to dreams and visions.

Some readers will note the flighty character of some of her effusive wording, or may be put off by some of her sometimes jargonish English syntax. She also expresses a charismatic approach that may put some more staid believers unfamiliar with the charismatic code words or jargon. She sometimes frustrated me as she seemed to lose touch with normal English and normal English syntax.

But Varela has heard the perspective of Jesus' teachings that are usually glossed over and spiritualized, reminding us that these are not just figurative but really meant as the way to live in kingdom faith. I had to listen to her insights and challenges. I hope other readers can find a way to connect with her content even if they find her style confusing or disturbing.

Varela deftly presents information, inspiration, challenge and practical, serious guidelines to develop and implement an attitude consistent with Jesus’ practical teaching about the Christian life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Face of Isis.

February 19, 2018 – Started Reading