C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Raven King

The Raven King by Nora Sakavic
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
11375137
's review

it was amazing
bookshelves: 5-star, read-2018, ya-male-narrators, young-adult, contemporary, read-2019, read-2020
Read 3 times. Last read January 9, 2020 to January 15, 2020.

read 3 [jan 2020]
this reread was basically dedicated to me panic-laughing out loud at all the incredibly golden snark moments of Josten stupidity while wearing headphones and listening to the audiobooks while quietly dying inside so I match Neil 👌🏻


read 2 [feb 2019]
the fact that I am no longer breathing just confirms how this series is absolutely my everything and I am trash for it and basically a wreck of emotions. I swear I love these dysfunctional damaged traumatised kids so much it hurts me. And rereading just made me see all these subplots and extra hints and foreshadowing that I didn't the first time. It's so so excellent. And I just CRY for Neil. Like he views everyone as so messed up...but this kid. This kid. He is a wreck. And his terrified looks when people are kind to him and how he gets totally like "????" when he realises the Foxes refer to him as their friend.

im crying ok yes yes

(Also Coach HOLDING HIM THROUGH HIS PANIC ATTACK AT THE END.)

I'm going to just curl into a ball of emotions for 10 seconds and then get to my absolutely favourite book of the series... (But also?? I do not want this to end ajfkdslad. Can I just reread forever.)



*:·゚✧*:·゚✧

Read 1 || Feb 2018


HOLY WOW THAT GOT BRUTALLY DARK AT THE END THERE I'M REELING. Honestly I don't even know why I'm loving these books so much ah haha. I actually loathe sports. And the writing could be so much better...but the characters have 500% won me and life is too short not to admit I love Neil Frikkin' Liar Josten and I just????? I need to know what happens. I can't stop thinking about them.

ALSO IT GOT REALLY BLOODILY DARK and I do like books with a sidedish of cookies from the dark side and also my feels splattered all over the ground.

LIST OF NOTABLE THINGS:
• Coach Wymack broke and called them "my kids" ah haha HAHAH I knew that was going to happen
• this hit a lot of dark topics
• why don't we just see if we can make everyone cry that's nice
• Kevin's panic attacks are so real
• Neil's just getting more defiant and fiesty each book, because people CARE about him and he's starting to believe it
• Neil's panic attack over the phone and then Andrew/Nicky working him through it wast just afjdkslad
• afjsdkaldj
• (I'm a good reviewer hush)
• everyone's birth-families suck wow
• Nicky existing, what a gift
• Aaron actually getting a story line this time instead of being an uninteresting stump
• THE TIME NEIL DRESSED UP AS A ZOMBIE COWBOY BECAUSE NICKY SAID TO FOR HALLOWEEN
• f a m i l y
• the family you choose <3 <3 <3


I'm still NOT DOWN with the ableist language.
There's no need, ever. Just... do not.

And again I do point to the writing and ask why it is being a lettuce.
There was just tons of unnecessary details?! Like we don't need to see Neil putting the key in the ignition ffs just move forward, mate. And there's a LOT of unnecessary pieces like that. It's tedious. Plus the writing would've absolutely exploded my fragile little soul if it'd honed in on developing the 5 senses and giving the characters more quirks and descriptions. Like when it does do the descriptions, it's good and punchy and right. But thEY'RE TOO RARE. Things like Neil grabbing his phone in his pocket to remind him he can call for help --> punchy writing. I wanted way way more of that. And yet here I am...giving it 5 stars anyway. LMAO SEE WHAT THE CHARACTERS HAVE DONE TO ME.

No one is spared in this one, omg no one.
Again it's probably not YA even if Neil is 18 ah ahha just excuse me while I flap about unable to shelve it right. There's drugs, alcohol abuse, violence, rape, and some torture (but mostly off page). And it absolutely just splatters your feels okay. THINGS GO DOWN AND I AM NOT OK. (view spoiler)

And it's even hard to say why I like the characters?!
They're all problematic little monsters and I don't condone any of their actions haha and mostly their friendships range from supportive to nearly abusive. But it's the complexity of actually writing about "broken" people and diving into the cause-and-effect of what's going on. They just feel so real and so well BUILT that I'm really invested in their lives. And Neil is a tragic darling who is so freaking obvious.

aLSO I FOUND MY SHIP IT BETTER SAIL IN BOOK 3 OR

(Also secretly glad there was less Exy in this because I still don't even care about the sport game. Why am I enjoying a series about JOCKS?! I have no idea.)

Basically this book is a mess and I am too wow.
I will just go admit I'm on the floor and go order buy book 3, goodbye for now.


"Kid, you're killing me," Nicky said. "Why do you always get that deer-in-the-headlights look when someone does something nice for you?
304 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven King.
Sign In »

Quotes C.G. Liked

“They were different kinds of heartless and Neil, for all his problems connecting with other people, didn't want to be a monster.”
Nora Sakavic, The Raven King

“Andrew Joseph Minyard, what the flying fuck have you done this time?”
Nora Sakavic, The Raven King


Reading Progress

February 20, 2018 – Shelved
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 22, 2018 – Started Reading
February 22, 2018 –
21.0% ""Kid, you're killing me," Nicky said> "Why do you always get that deer-in-the-headlights look when someone does something nice for you?"

BECAUSE HE'S DAMAGED AND PRECIOUS OK WE MUST PROTECT NEIL AND GIVE HIM NICE THINGS."
February 23, 2018 –
40.0% "Neil: my name is neil
Neil: i don't need friends
Neil: i'm not hiding anything
Neil: i'm not gay
Neil: i'm fine
Literally Everyone Else In The Book: alRIGht WhATEVER you SAY sweetie"
February 23, 2018 –
60.0% "Neil: Oh Andrew hates me too.
Neil: [asks Andrew for something]
Andrew: [does whatever he asks]
Everyone: Neil wE JusT??? he miGHT noT HATE YOU OK holy fffff????"
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
February 24, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 14, 2019 –
page 50
17.48% "Me, reading it the first time: eh there's not much romance in the first two books???

Me, rereading:
- andrew won't let nicky flirt with neil from day 1
- andrew buys neil clothes
- andrew gets them matching phones
- when rieko threatens neil, andrew protects neil before even protecting kevin
- andrew literally promises to die for neil"
February 15, 2019 –
page 178
62.24% "Neil: we should socialise with the others more
Neil: unite the team
Andrew: fine but you have to as well
Neil: [panicking]
Neil: ok wait
Neil: ...wait"
February 16, 2019 –
page 267
93.36% "Wymack called them "MY KIDS" and no no im not crying you are"
February 16, 2019 –
page 300
100% "i forgot Neil is so smol that Coach Wymack actually bodily lifted him up and carried him out of the court when he started a fight

omg neil"
February 17, 2019 – Started Reading
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
February 17, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 9, 2020 – Started Reading
January 9, 2020 –
page 100
34.97% "Neil: so can anyone explain why Andrew does--
Everyone On The Team: WE DON'T KNOW"
January 13, 2020 –
page 200
69.93% "Neil: i don't care about anyone or anything
Renee: okay well--
Neil: but I'm going to need a very detailed run down on every team member's love life
Neil: particularly Andrew's
Neil: for no reason"
January 15, 2020 – Shelved as: read-2020
January 15, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Joan Great review! You’re tempting me to do a reread. ;)


fatima. i m so so glad you are loving this series its one of my most fav series and your review is making me go reread it again :D


C.G. Drews @Joan: It's always a good time for rereading right?! XD

@Fatima: omg I'm enjoying it so much and it's so freaking heartbreaking


Angela C Ahhh!!!!! Now I'm dying to know who you're shipping?!?!


C.G. Drews @Angela: (view spoiler)


Angela C Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Angela: [spoilers removed]"

:-D :-D :-D


Panderp i am living for your reviews on these books. They destroyed me, I read the entire series twice in one week and I am so glad to see that someone else is falling down the rabbit hole.


C.G. Drews @Amanda: I don't eve know if I fell but rather like FACE FIRST PLUMMETED INTO THE TRAGEDY AND TRAUMA OF THESE PRECIOUS CINNAMON SONS.


Panderp Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Amanda: I don't eve know if I fell but rather like FACE FIRST PLUMMETED INTO THE TRAGEDY AND TRAUMA OF THESE PRECIOUS CINNAMON SONS."

It's what we all do. No warning. Just BAM THESE ARE YOU KIDS AND YOU WILL LOVE THEM ALWAYS


Nyx’s_Books Inspired me to reread this series. I just finished today and now I’m a wreck. But worth it!!


veilless I personally always attributed the detailed writing style to it being a self-published story. I noticed that a lot of self-published books have that element, most probably because the story has not been looked over by a publishing professional. BTW I gotta love how regardless of this book's flaws we just can't help loving it to bits, I talk about this book so much with my friends and we've already took it apart into thousands pieces but we always end up at the conclusion that with all its flaws this series is just, so good and has so much pull. It's quite fascinating.


Padmapriya Hearing audiobook of first book :)


message 13: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn You’re so disciplined only rereading this yearly. Maybe I’ll try and do the same... bahahahhahahahaha. Who am I kidding. Have almost finished TRK this round... just knowing how Wymack holds Neil up is so so precious and seriously he is an angel on earth.


dylan i swear every one of your reviews makes me laugh in the best of ways because you just CAPTURE PERFECTLY what it is like inside my head while i am reading as well. i'm reading this series because of you and i have two things to say: THANK YOU FOR YOUR AMAZING AND FUNNY REVIEWS! they have inspired me to pick up so many books i never would have otherwise, and yet every time i have found myself in love with the book :)


message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews dylan wrote: "i swear every one of your reviews makes me laugh in the best of ways because you just CAPTURE PERFECTLY what it is like inside my head while i am reading as well. i'm reading this series because of..."

this really makes my day!!! Thank you!!


dylan C.G. wrote: "dylan wrote: "i swear every one of your reviews makes me laugh in the best of ways because you just CAPTURE PERFECTLY what it is like inside my head while i am reading as well. i'm reading this ser..."

aweeee you're welcome!😊 i'm just so thankful i have these adorable little cinnamon rolls in my life. like....andrew.....you darling lil damaged baby.....plz just love our broken-boy-neil and let him be there for you y'all need to protect each other😩😩😩😩(this series is going to destroy me and i am ready) *<-- that's a lie i am most assuredly not ready*


skylre where would you find the audiobook? do you have to rent/buy it?


message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews skylre wrote: "where would you find the audiobook? do you have to rent/buy it?"

Yes I buy audios from Audible!


back to top