Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > The Romanov Empress: A Novel of Tsarina Maria Feodorovna

The Romanov Empress by C.W. Gortner

bookshelves: arcs, kindle-version, 2018-reads, 2018-summer-reads, recent-favorites

5 huge stars to The Romanov Empress! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Historical fiction fans will not want to miss C.W. Gortner’s latest novel! I would also offer, if you enjoy perfect storytelling involving an enthralling and strong woman, this book is also for you.

The Romanov Empress is narrated by the mother of Russia’s last tsar. Maria (formerly “Minnie”) Feodorovna is born a Danish princess; however, while her family has rank due to title, it is low on funds. Her story begins when she is a teen, and her sister, Alix, is about to marry the Prince of Wales, son of Queen Victoria. I find Queen Victoria especially fascinating, so it was intriguing to hear about her from Maria’s point-of-view.

Maria also is set for a royal marriage to keep her family’s status, and while it is not an easy or simple journey, especially for her heart, she marries the Romanov heir who later takes the throne. The descriptions of the setting as she arrives in St. Petersburg were absolutely mesmerizing.

Later Maria’s husband dies, and her son, Nicholas, is now the ruler of a disintegrating empire that is struggling in every way. She attempts to guide her son, but her efforts are futile with Nicholas’ wife and Rasputin having the emperor’s ear.

The Romanov Empress is epic in its scope, and the writing is exquisite, while also being highly readable. The rich setting is replete with opulence and grandeur balanced with war and extreme turmoil. I savored this reading experience, and Maria is a memorable and inspiring historical figure who falls in love with Russia and does her best to honor and uphold it. It is a story of family, sacrifice, strength, and ultimately, love.

Thank you to Random House/Ballantine for the complimentary copy. The Romanov Empress is now available!

My reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romanov Empress.

January 18, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
January 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
February 20, 2018 – Shelved
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read-owned-books
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: arcs
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle-version
July 4, 2018 – Started Reading
July 4, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
July 4, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-summer-reads
July 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
July 13, 2018 – Shelved as: recent-favorites
July 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Such a lovely review, Jennifer ;) Glad you really enjoy this author’s writing!! Happy Weekend 😎 xoxo

message 2: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron A very fine review, Jennifer.

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Jennifer!!

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Wonderful review, Jennifer!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader KAS wrote: "Such a lovely review, Jennifer ;) Glad you really enjoy this author’s writing!! Happy Weekend 😎 xoxo"

Thanks so much, KAS! I hope you have a great weekend, too! 💗

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nice review, Jennifer!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Zoeytron wrote: "A very fine review, Jennifer."

Thanks, ZT!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Deanna wrote: "Great review, Jennifer!!"

Thank you, Dee!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Diane wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer!"

Thanks so much, Diane!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lisa wrote: "Nice review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Lisa!

Angela M Love your review, Jennifer! It was s great read .

message 12: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Fabulous review! I have a copy and am hoping to start reading it soon! I used to read so much historical fiction, but I haven't in a while. Maybe this is the book to start with again.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this on my TBR!! I’m so excited to read it! Wonderful review!

message 14: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Wonderful review Jennifer!🤗

message 15: by DeAnn (new) - added it

DeAnn Oh Jennifer, great review. Can't wait to read this one, love the 5-star review.

message 16: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Fabulous review, Jennifer! This is one I will keep in mind the next time I want to venture into historic Russia. I did read a book about Maria before and really enjoyed it, too!

message 17: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Another excellent review Jennifer!! 🌻❤️

message 18: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Terrific review, Jennifer! I really want to read this book. I love Russian history, plus I've read Gortner's writing before and really liked it :)

message 19: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Terrific review, Jennifer! I've added it to my library book list.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Jen! Xo

message 21: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Love the Romanov's and have enjoyed this author's work in the past. Excellent review, Jennifer. Love all the stars!!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Excellent review, Jennifer!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, Jennifer! 💚😘

Holly  B This was a memorable book! Fabulous review Jenn!

message 25: by JanB (new)

JanB I’m so tempted by this one - terrific review Jennifer!

Tammy I’m so glad you enjoyed this as much as I did, Jennifer!

Marialyce I am loving this one as well. It is so good and so is your great review, Jennifer!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Angela M wrote: "Love your review, Jennifer! It was s great read ."

Thanks, Angela! It really was.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Malia wrote: "Fabulous review! I have a copy and am hoping to start reading it soon! I used to read so much historical fiction, but I haven't in a while. Maybe this is the book to start with again."

Thanks, Malia! I think this is a great place to get you back into historical fiction. It is so well-researched, perfectly written, and Maria is absolutely unforgettable!

message 30: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Great review, Jennifer!

message 31: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Wonderful review, Jennifer!

message 32: by Mackey (new)

Mackey fabulous review!

message 33: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Jennifer 😊

message 34: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Wonderful review, Jennifer xx

message 35: by Melisa (new)

Melisa Love those 5 stars🎉

message 36: by Kara (new)

Kara Hansen Wow~ loved your review! Sounds like a fantastic story!

Norma * Traveling Sister Great review, Jennifer!

message 38: by Fred (new)

Fred Shaw Excellent review Jennifer!

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Wonderful review, Jennifer!!! Sounds so good!

message 40: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria You had me at perfect storytelling.❤️Very much looking forward to this one and in the meantime I'm going to check out his backlist!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Rachel wrote: "I have this on my TBR!! I’m so excited to read it! Wonderful review!"

Thanks, Rachel! You are in for a treat of a read with this one!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review Jennifer!🤗"

Thanks, Kaceey!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader DeAnn wrote: "Oh Jennifer, great review. Can't wait to read this one, love the 5-star review."

Thanks, DeAnn! I think you’ll love this one!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Jennifer! This is one I will keep in mind the next time I want to venture into historic Russia. I did read a book about Maria before and really enjoyed it, too!"

Thanks, Jaline! Do you remember which book you read about Maria if you happen to see my comment? I’d love to read more about her!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Kendall wrote: "Another excellent review Jennifer!! 🌻❤️"

Thanks, Kendall! 💕

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Candi wrote: "Terrific review, Jennifer! I really want to read this book. I love Russian history, plus I've read Gortner's writing before and really liked it :)"

Thanks, Candi! This one sounds like it will fit right into your reads! I hope you get a chance to read it!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Candace wrote: "Terrific review, Jennifer! I've added it to my library book list."

Thanks, Candace! I hope you enjoy it, too!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Jen! Xo"

Thanks, Kris!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Julie wrote: "Love the Romanov's and have enjoyed this author's work in the past. Excellent review, Jennifer. Love all the stars!!"

Thanks, Julie! It was a wonderful read!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review, Jennifer!"

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, Jennifer! 💚😘"

Holly wrote: "This was a memorable book! Fabulous review Jenn!"

Thanks, Brenda, Mary Beth, and Holly! I loved this one!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader JanB wrote: "I’m so tempted by this one - terrific review Jennifer!"

Thanks, Jan! I can understand why! It’s been well-loved!

« previous 1