Amy's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Nov 02, 2011

1) Genre: Science Fiction

2) In a community oblivious to pain and where every decision from a resident’s spouse to his/her job, Jonas completely believes he knows what to expect when he reaches the “adult” age of 12. The job he is chosen to do, however, is nothing like what he expected and he learns that his new role and initial perceptions of life will completely change forever.

3) Critique:

a) I believe this is the first book that I chose to critique the setting; however, the unnatural setting of this book totally captivated my attention.

b) The setting of this book is a community that is essential all the same. At each age, there are responsibilities that are universal for individuals of this age. For example, all of the children received bicycles at age 9 (pg. 13). A committee chooses everyone’s life job which they receive at age 12. Individuals are assigned their spouse and children. The entire setting reminded me of The Stepford Wives because everything seemed perfect to the residents of the community because everyone already knew what to expect.

c) The few lines that definitely capture the severity of the sameness found within the community is: “Jonas reached the opposite side of the river, stopped briefly, and looked back. The community where his entire life had ben lived lay behind him now, sleeping. At dawn, the orderly, disciplined life he had always known would continue again, without him. The life where nothing was ever expected. Or inconvenient. Or unusual. The life without color, pain, or past” (pg. 165).

4) Curriculum Connection: This is such an interesting book with a world that is completely different from ours. Perhaps students could compare and contrast Jonas’ world and ours and ultimately decide which one would be better to live in. Students could use their creativity and create their own ideal community by incorporating perhaps some elements of Jonas’ world and the one we live in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.