Maria's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

4/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
“True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.”

Wow! How refreshing! I feel so much lighter now, like a weight has been lifted off of me. I feel happy and fluffy and bubbly. This is such a fan and entertaining read. I can't even review it properly. You can't just criticize harshly a trash YA book, made to not be taken seriously. Guys, let some love into your life! This book meets The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor meets America's Next Top Model meets any kind of trashy reality show you will find on TV meets any kind of chick lit movie you will find on the cinema. And I loved it! So many characters and settings reminded me of other characters and settings from other books and movies and tv shows, and it just made me giddy. This book would have been my favorite if I read it when I was 15 or something, at 21 I couldn't feel the same butterflies. I'm jealous of y'all for reading it when you were a teenager! It must have been such a fulfilling and blissful experience. I'm gonna criticize some minor problems but nothing too serious. I don't want to ruin the jolly feeling this book gave me! Let's go!

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The main character's name is America Singer. America Singer. And guess what her profession is? A singer. SHOCKER! Honestly, guys, I laughed out loud when this name was mentioned. I couldn't help it. Also... my Greek people need to hear this. HER BROTHER'S NAME IS KOTA. AND HE'S A MALE. KOTA. Non-Greek people, listen out. Kota in Greek is an insult for Greek people. A funny one. A trashy one. Also, it's chicken. But mostly an insult. Kota means hen. But hen isn't an insult in English, obviously. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's basically "bitch" in poultry form. The word has the same impact as bitch. Good talk. I'm still laughing at this name, and at the fact it's for a male character. I sent it to my friends and we all had a good laugh. I always laugh sending them weird things from books I read.

I'll talk about one more aspect I didn't like and then I'm done as I promised! I didn't find the world building too convincing. I feel like the story was too character and relationship driven, that the whole standpoint of the politics was unnecessary and redundant. I respected the castes derivative, it was unique and it mirrored so much our today's society, but she should have left it at that. She should have evolved the world more for it to be taken seriously, or slowed down on the teen drama factor. Which is the reason these books are so fun and lovable, the teen drama trashy YA aspect of them. So, yes, I don't need world building here!

Now onto... what I liked! I underestimated this book immensely. I truly thought the main character would be a shallow, superficial, dumb bitch, who only cared about the dresses and the fame and all that. A character like Celeste, you could say. But I was pleasantly taken aback. America is an incredible character. She is funny, sassy, independent, clever, uncompromising. A true role model and I'm rooting for her. She really cares about her family and puts herself in a tough (for her) position which also brings danger in physical form. I hope she sorts her shit out in her head, and chooses the best for her. (MAXON) Furthermore, I RELISHED in her relationship with her maids. I was delighted that she stood up for them, brought them to safety, fought for them. She showed how much of a Queen she can become.

I didn't enjoy ASPEN'S CHARACTER AT ALL. I feel like he's only with America for the physical stuff. And he's sneaky. I SEE YOU ASPEN. Something is going on. Why was he only happy the last three months, like his mum said, when he's been with America for two years? And, oh, so randomly, the girl fell and he caught her. By the waist, like couples hug intimately. COME ON! We all saw how quick he was at picking out a lie when her maids entered the room. The boy is a natural breed liar. Something is gonna be revealed in the next books. And I'm ready for it! I'M WATCHING YOU ASPEN 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 #teamMaxon

MAXON. Guys. MAXON. HE'S SO CUTE AND FUNNY AND AWKWARD AND NOBLE AND DID I SAY CUTE AND SWOON SWOON. I kept picturing Max Irons as him. I don't know if I'm wrong. When I read books, I always picture actors or singers or whatever for the characters I like most. America was Bonnie Wright for me. Don't @ me. And let's continue with Maxon. MAXON. MY NEW FICTIONAL BAE CRUSH. COME TO MAMA BAE. I love him. I love him so much. He's so precious and he deserves love and respect and all the cookies in the world. I want to hug him. I want him to hug me with his gargantuan arms. The ones America likes. You know 😉

I cherished the relationship between all the Selected. At the begging, it was all so awkward and everyone was at forks with everyone, because of the competition. Only Marlee was genuine with America. I love how the women hate was vanished and how after all, aside the competition, they were there for each other. I want them to be united and strong in the next book, all six of them. I was sad to see the others go so suddenly, but you know they were too many to remember. I want the characters of these last remaining five girls to be explored more. I want to stan new people! Initially, I thought Marlee was sneaky. She was so nice and giving to America, it should have been a trap. With it all being a competition and everything. But I trusted her after a while, and now again I don't. She is hiding too much. Something's fishy here. And I don't like fish 🐟

The relationship between America and Maxon was a gigantic surprise to me. I thought they would meet, you know, classic shit, they would fall in love, he would find something special to her, she would rethink her past reflection of his character and blah blah blah. Which is how it happened but with an unorthodox way. A maverick way. Fucking Logan Paul. ANYWAY, the friends to lovers trope is one I'm never getting tired off. I'm a fanfic person, shoot me. I want them to end up together. They bring out the best in each other. They're funny, snarky, honest with each other. That's why a romantic relationship should start from a strong friendship first. I'm all for it, in real life too.

The point here is, ever since I joined Goodreads and watched lots of Bootube and basically joined the online book world, I'm very critical with books. I used to read exclusively for joy but now, it's almost gone. Ever since I started writing more serious reviews which included serious criticism, I started getting more picky. I would never rate a book with 2 stars a few months ago, but it happened. I don't want to do that with this series, though. I don't want to nitpick things to rant about. I want to enjoy them, like I enjoy all the good trash reality shit on my tv. I live for that stuff. I love tea being served ☕️ You all love reality shows and trashy movies, books and tv series. Come on, admit it. Some things are guilty pleasures. And they gives us glee. Like Glee. You're not funny, Maria, stop doing this shit 💩

This book gave me joy. This book filled my stomach with euphoria. I will certainly continue with the next book. In addition, I found randomly the unaired "the CW" pilot version of this book series. WTF WAS THAT??? WHY IS MAXON A PRICK? AND DARK-HAIRED?? WHY IS AMERICA BLONDE?? WHY IS THEIR MEETING SO DIFFERENT FROM THE BOOK??? WHAT IS HAPPENING............. I'm so so so so so happy beyond belief this wasn't picked up. This book deserves a good movie or tv show adaptation. AND I NEED IT! So... till the next one... K BYE!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

February 20, 2018 – Shelved
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 30, 2018 – Started Reading
July 30, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "And just because after the destruction of A Court of Wings and Ruin's ending bestowed upon me, it's 6am and I can't sleep for the life of me, so I will start this innocent trashy YA novel to entertain me!"
July 30, 2018 –
page 24
July 31, 2018 –
page 48
August 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Μaria Vrisanaki Χαίρομαι πολύ που σ άρεσε!! Κ εγώ απόλαυσα πολύ όλη την τριλογία 💞

Maria Μaria wrote: "Χαίρομαι πολύ που σ άρεσε!! Κ εγώ απόλαυσα πολύ όλη την τριλογία 💞"

Όλοι θέλουμε λίγη (έως πολλή) τρασίλα στην ζωή μας ♥️

Fedra Αυτό που τον λένε ΚΟΤΑ είχε όντως πολύ πλάκα 😂😂😂

Maria Fedra wrote: "Αυτό που τον λένε ΚΟΤΑ είχε όντως πολύ πλάκα 😂😂😂"

Μόλις διάβασα το όνομα γελούσα τόσο έντονα! Φοβήθηκα ότι θα ήταν κύριος χαρακτήρας και δεν θα έπαιρνα το βιβλίο στα σοβαρά (όχι ότι είναι βιβλίο που το παίρνεις στα σοβαρά αλλά λέμε τώρα) αλλά ευτυχώς όχι 😂 😂 😂

Lucie Oh yeah, Selection series is my guilty pleasure...:D :D But later with the other books I started to kind of dislike America a little.

Maria Lucie wrote: "Oh yeah, Selection series is my guilty pleasure...:D :D But later with the other books I started to kind of dislike America a little."

I gather that she will go from one man to the other and not be able to choose? Don't spoil me though! I truly love this series, and I hope I like the rest of the books too :D

Lida Κότα! Χα χα χα το χα ξεχάσει αυτό!

Maria Lida wrote: "Κότα! Χα χα χα το χα ξεχάσει αυτό!"

Ακόμα γελάω φίλε! Ήταν μεγάλο το σοκ! 😂

Mareira ''DID I SAY CUTE AND SWOON SWOON''
φοβερο ριβιουυυυυ!!!συμφωνω σχεδον σε όλα(ο ασπενάκος δεν μου φάνηκε αντιπαθής)

Maria Mareira wrote: "''DID I SAY CUTE AND SWOON SWOON''
φοβερο ριβιουυυυυ!!!συμφωνω σχεδον σε όλα(ο ασπενάκος δεν μου φάνηκε αντιπαθής)"

χαχαχα σ'ευχαριστώ! #teammaxon forever bitch 😉

♚sari♚ Finally someone who actually liked this!! I adored this whole book (mostly Macon though) 😍😭

Irene Sim Great review, Maria. I fear that for me the first book of the series is the strongest one, the rest didn't match up.. I hope you'll enjoy them, though.

Maria ♚Sarika ♚ wrote: "Finally someone who actually liked this!! I adored this whole book (mostly Macon though) 😍😭"

MAXON IS MY NEW BAE! I enjoyed this book immensely ♥️

Maria Irene wrote: "Great review, Maria. I fear that for me the first book of the series is the strongest one, the rest didn't match up.. I hope you'll enjoy them, though."

Thank you! I hope I like the rest the same way, this one was truly entertaining.

message 15: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Senteney I just purchased this series, I have all but The Crown, for when I get in the sweet romance mood, great review

Maria Barbara wrote: "I just purchased this series, I have all but The Crown, for when I get in the sweet romance mood, great review"

It's such an easy and fun read, I can't really judge this series 😃 thank you!!

message 17: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Senteney Maria wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I just purchased this series, I have all but The Crown, for when I get in the sweet romance mood, great review"

It's such an easy and fun read, I can't really judge this series 😃 t..."
Sometimes you just want a cute cozy read of nothing too serious. I liked what you said about the guys name, When we call someone a chicken in America it means they are a coward. Some books are really bad and you can't help but pick it apart or dismiss it like yesterday's news. Some are so good you have to rant. I read many different genres, if it's romantic I expect some electricity, thriller I expect a wow moment,suspense should draw me in and horror needs to be either gory, or unique. I liked your review because it showed likes and dislikes.

Maria Barbara wrote: "Maria wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I just purchased this series, I have all but The Crown, for when I get in the sweet romance mood, great review"

It's such an easy and fun read, I can't really judge t..."

You're so right. And thank you so much!

Amber I love how much you loved this book! It makes excited and makes me wanna pick it up and reread it all over again! The bachelor is my guilty pleasure and now that it just ended last week I need a good dose of America and Maxon’s shizz😋

Maria Amber wrote: "I love how much you loved this book! It makes excited and makes me wanna pick it up and reread it all over again! The bachelor is my guilty pleasure and now that it just ended last week I need a go..."

Thank you! This book was such an amazing break from all those heavy books I read recently. It was fun and fluffy and cute and MAXON ILY. I can't wait for my next book to arrive, I will devour it in one day!