Alice Lemon's Reviews > Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City

Not in My Neighborhood by Antero Pietila

U 50x66

bookshelves: topic-soc-race, recs-alex-baca, topic-cities, topic-hist-modern, category-academic

This book was really interesting, both as a history of Twentieth Century Baltimore and as a study of white flight and mid-Twentieth Century housing turnover and failed integration in an American city. I will say that it would've helped a lot if I was more familiar with Baltimore before reading the book, especially its geography. I am too much of a Washington-focused Marylander who really doesn't know Baltimore well.

The degree of terror that seemed to motivate white homeowners to move when the first blacks moved into a neighborhood was a bit incomprehensible to me. I really don't understand why the presence of black kids in a school was considered so terrifying. That said, the one part of it that made sense was the fear that all their savings was tied up in their homes, and they couldn't risk the value of them dropping. This seems like just one more example of how private home-ownership creates perverse incentives that have messed up American cities in the last century.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not in My Neighborhood.

Started Reading