Ashley's Reviews > The Wolves of Winter

The Wolves of Winter by Tyrell Johnson

28820519

liked it

I have a deep love of apocalyptic novels. Is that odd? I will literally read anything with an apocalyptic theme - it instantly shoots to the top of my to-be-read list. This is exactly what happened with THE WOLVES OF WINTER by Tyrell Johnson.

RELEASE DATE: January 2018

PUBLISHER: Scribner

DISCLAIMER: Novel sent via NetGallery in exchange for a honest review.

SYNOPSIS: Forget the old days. Forget summer. Forget warmth. Forget anything that doesn’t help you survive. Lynn McBride has learned much since society collapsed in the face of nuclear war and the relentless spread of disease. As memories of her old life haunt her, she has been forced to forge ahead in the snow-covered Canadian Yukon, learning how to hunt and trap to survive. But her fragile existence is about to be shattered. Shadows of the world before have found her tiny community—most prominently in the enigmatic figure of Jax, who sets in motion a chain of events that will force Lynn to fulfill a destiny she never imagined.

REVIEW: I had a bit of a love-hate relationship with this novel. Let me explain why.

What's Good:
-- The end of the world apocalyptic theme sounds like something that would / could actually happen. The world coming to an end via a pandemic and government collapse sounds dipped in real life accuracy. It's well done and it showcases how the dominos fall within a society that is on the edge.
-- The novel does an amazing job of describing life in the arctic. The characters have moved to the edge of the world because of it's lack of people and sickness. Because of this, the characters have had to adapt to their surroundings. There is a great deal of amazing description describing how the main character of Lynn grew up to trap deers, shoot bows and arrows, and generally survive in the frigid cold. It's well done!

What's Bad:
-- The novel is a female narrative written by a male author. While this isn't necessarily bad, there are some shortcomings that are immediately prevalent. For instance, this first chapter has the female sexually assaulted (not necessary). With the powerhouse #MeToo movement and feminism becoming more mainstream, it felt out of place - and something definitely added by a male author in order to have a male character save the female (it happens multiple times).
-- The millisecond that the 'supernatural' main character is introduced, I stopped liking the story. It took the novel from a really good post-civilization novel to something more sci-fi based.

Overall, the novel is marketed as Young Adult, but I didn't feel that way at all. It's a great read if you're into apocalyptic warfare - but in my opinion, check out THE BOOK OF THE UNNAMED MIDWIFE first.

Happy reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolves of Winter.

Finished Reading