Leia's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

bookshelves: owned

Originally posted at Nothing But Reviews:

I discovered John Green last year, 24 September 2011, when I bought An Abundance of Katherines out of yearning to diversify my reading plate. Since then, I’ve read that as well as Paper Towns and Zombicorns. I fell in love with his writing style enough for him to become one of those authors on my “must-buy, must-read” list. Thus, it wouldn’t be surprising for me to pick-up a copy of The Fault in Our Stars as soon as it was released in the country.

The Fault in Our Stars is told from the perspective of Hazel Grace Lancaster, a 16-year old teenager, living with Stage IV Thyroid cancer who exhibited clinical depression 2 years after receiving medical care that prevented her tumors from metastasizing. A recommendation to join a cancer support group led her to meet Augustus Waters, an ex-basketball player with an amputated leg resulting from a “touch of osteosarcoma” (bone cancer). Since then, the two share a special friendship with adventures that take them as far as Amsterdam, and discover how meaningful life is despite dealing with the hard and painful side-effects of cancer, or dying.

Reading the synopsis may leave you feel depressed; after all, it does feature teenagers dealing with cancer. In a way, it is so because The Fault in Our Stars never shied from detailing the struggles of its main characters: Hazel having to always carry her portable oxygen tank or Augustus being unable to drive well given his artificial leg. Operations, sickbeds, doctors and bodily fluids are told in a nonchalant, almost normal manner. However, The Fault in Our Stars, at its core, is a beautifully written love story; it has movie and dinner dates, long phone calls, emails and text messages. The love shared by Hazel and Augustus is the kind that makes you feel warm all over and never get tired of reading, even if you end up emptying another box of tissue.

Of all his books I’ve read so far, The Fault in Our Stars is perhaps my favorite: I had a hard time putting it down (since I only read when I commute) and it took me around 3 days collectively to finish it (the others, about 14 days at most). While my reading experience felt like a breeze, its impact was beyond words. I was greatly reminded about a lot of things: that pain indeed needs to be felt and that simple pleasures enjoyed by those of good health should be cherished and not taken for granted, or much worse, abused.
1 like · flag

November 2, 2011 – Shelved
January 18, 2012 – Shelved as: owned
January 18, 2012 –
page 48
15.34% "Either the commute was long or I read fast, but I like Hazel already. :D"
January 19, 2012 – Started Reading
January 19, 2012 –
page 177
56.55% "My heart aches in joy and in pain as I move along."
January 21, 2012 – Finished Reading