Sebastian Gebski's Reviews > How to Win Friends and Influence People

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Another immortal classic I had on my bucket-list since forever, but it was always dropping off the top of the queue because "... hey, I know how to communicate with people, I don't need to learn how to gain friends, I'm good enough in influencing other people in an ethical way ...", etc.

But recently it has popped up during an interesting conversation (about few things, incl. org. culture), so I've finally decided to give it a go & it was a good decision. OK, but what should YOU know about it before reaching for the book yourself?

1. Yes, it has been written a long time ago, in a "different reality" of different values, but ... it neither broke the message nor invalidated the principles described. Seriously. Yes, some examples (& book is packed with them) will certainly sound funny & naively (boys and the fire story ...), but these are incidents that aren't any problem.

2. It's VERY well written, very pleasant to "perceive" - calm, balanced, non-intrusive. Just like the principles it describes. Message passed ain't very complex & doesn't require too much intellectual involvement, yet book doesn't get boring or too obvious. So - old-fashioned but very classy style of writing.

3. Based on my experience, I do agree with D.C.'s principles described here. It doesn't mean I'm following them exactly: 1. because it's not easy, 2. because in some cases I was taught exactly opposite e.g. by starting career in corporation ... but that's something I consider as room for improvement. Even the beginner can accept & start turning these principles into action (good for her/him!) but it takes some experience to really appreciate them (well, I guess that by then you just know the real difference).

Recommended - world would be a much better place (for everyone) if more people have read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Win Friends and Influence People.

February 19, 2018 – Started Reading