Carole (in Canada)'s Reviews > The Fire by Night

The Fire by Night by Teresa Messineo

F 50x66

bookshelves: favorites, historical-military, world-war-ii
Recommended for: Fiction, World War II, Nurses, Historical

Incredibly compelling and gripping debut novel of two World War II nurses and the horrific conditions under which they served and survived. The story is told in alternate chapters from the perspective of each nurse.

Jo McMahon and Kay Elliott attended nursing school together and worked in the same hospital in New York City. Both sign up for the war hoping they can stay together. Kay is sent to Hawaii. Jo is sent to Africa/Europe. From the opening chapter, we are thrown smack dab into the middle of war, the chaos and death. It is powerful, moving and heartbreaking.

"Everywhere was death, and where it wasn't yet, it was coming." (quote from the book)

My respect for nurses has always been high, but this story, based on historical fact that was only released in 2005, shows the valor, humanity and resiliency of these heroic women. The nurses who had served were not allowed to speak of what they had endured for sixty years.

"...if the world of men ever tears itself apart again, it will take an army of nurses to put it back together." (quote from the book)

Thank you Ms. Messineo for digging deep and not taking no for an answer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire by Night.

February 19, 2018 – Shelved
February 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 1, 2020 – Started Reading
February 3, 2020 – Shelved as: favorites
February 3, 2020 – Shelved as: historical-military
February 3, 2020 – Shelved as: world-war-ii
February 3, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem Looks very interesting, my mother was a nurse at the beginning of WW II

Carole (in Canada) I found it fascinating, and I thank your mother for entering a field that I think is one of the hardest professions in so many different ways.