Kars's Reviews > Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism

Democracy at Work by Richard D. Wolff

bookshelves: economics, non-fiction, politics, top-of-the-pile

"If democracy is a genuine foundational social value, it ought to govern the workplace first and foremost."

My meandering readings through leftist books lead me to Wolff and after listening to him talk about this book on Chapo Trap House I decided to pick this up.

My perspective on this is as a technology professional interested in promoting progressive values in my own practice and that of my peers. Over the course of a couple of years of ongoing conversations about this it has become pretty clear to me that if we want to improve the ways in which human values are put at the heart of the technology design and development process, we will need to change the context within which it happens, which is to say the companies making technology.

The question then becomes: how do we do this and what would be an alternative model. Wolff delivers on describing the alternative model of worker self-directed enterprises (WSDEs), somewhat delivers on suggesting ways of getting there, but the bulk of this book is an analysis of contemporary capitalism and the building of an argument for why WSDEs would indeed be a cure of capitalism.

If you're at all familiar with some of the common critiques of capitalism that first section of the book will feel a bit slow or superfluous at times. On the other hand, it does make the book more readily recommendable to people outside of leftist circles who might be more sceptical. So in that regard it's useful.

So I can recommend this, but I do think we need a companion to this which is all about the strategies and tactics of making WSDEs actually happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Democracy at Work.

February 18, 2018 – Shelved