Ruth Belano's Reviews > Numbers

Numbers by Rachel Ward

Nov 02, 2011

did not like it
Read in December, 2011

Review before finishing the book:

I am so sorry to my friend who willingly spent her money just to buy me this disappointing book for Christmas. When I read the overview, I was like, "This is going to be a great book!", and so, I spent months craving for this book because I don't have the time to buy and read it, until my oh so good friend gave it to me as Christmas gift. I was so excited to read it!! but...

It.was.horrible. The plot was just so irrelevant to the supposed main idea of the book. The ending was so predictable.. Okay, start from the beginning. Jem is a troubled child under foster care who doesn't want to get emotionally attached to anyone because of her ability to see other people's death dates when she looks into their eyes, blah blah blah. Then she meets Spider, a guy who finally understands her, lets down her guard and takes a chance, blah blah blah. The back of the book was way more interesting than the story itself.

So the London Eye explodes right after they left the area (they ran away, she predicted it, obviously), so the police got suspicious and they're being hunted, accused of being terrorists. And that's where the interesting part ends. The rest of the book comprised of their runaway and hiding from authorities and civilization. It was booooring. I didn't care about the characters all that much. The only character I liked was Britney, who played a minor, short role in the book.

Personally, I was expecting something more exciting after the explosion. Like, there would be another terrorist attack, and Jem and Spider would get caught, but they found out about Jem's abilities (somehow) and she would be used to help stop the future terrorist attack. Or something. Or maybe even reveal Val to be some sort of former agent or something. ANYTHING. Anything that doesn't involve running away over and over. It was just so... repetitive. Okay, maybe I'm like this 'cause I just finished reading Eve, which was full of surprises (AWESOME BOOK). I wanted more from the story, I don't get how the rest of the events relate to her ability. I mean, it's just so pointless to have that factor in the story if the author isn't even going to make it useful. It's like.. "I can see the person's death" WOW and as the story progresses.. SO WHAT NOW??

I don't recommend this to anyone. The sort of love story part here isn't even sappy. I'm so so so so so sorry Christa!! Thank you, though!! I tried, but it was just so boring... It sucked, really. I didn't even get into the the characters.. Sooooorry. Anyway, I'm going to try to finish for the sake of finishing it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Numbers.

12/20/2011 page 240
74.0% "boring"
02/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lulufrances (new)

Lulufrances Your review is perfect - I think EXACTLY the same as you about this book!!in every point! How crazy :D also didn't finish it

message 2: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Belano Lulufrances wrote: "Your review is perfect - I think EXACTLY the same as you about this book!!in every point! How crazy :D also didn't finish it"

Good you didn't finish it. It would just disappoint you more. I have no idea what the whole point of the story is. Anyway, at least someone agrees!

LexyMay I couldn't force myself to finish it so I skipped a lot of pages and read the end...That sucks, the idea had potential...

message 4: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Belano LexyMay wrote: "I couldn't force myself to finish it so I skipped a lot of pages and read the end...That sucks, the idea had potential..."

I agree

Iamdivergent786 Maybe you just didn't understand the literature and deep plot in the book. I think kids like you like fast action packed books. I'm also guessing you haven't tried the Hunger Games. Good. Kid, you'll hate it. I loved this book, and I don't really understand what you think is wrong with it.

message 6: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Belano Iamdivergent786 wrote: "Maybe you just didn't understand the literature and deep plot in the book. I think kids like you like fast action packed books. I'm also guessing you haven't tried the Hunger Games. Good. Kid, you'..."
We all have our own opinion and I won't judge you for yours. I personally think that this book isn't as deep as you make it seem. I have, in fact, read The Hunger Games and I loved it. I believe I've stated what I think was wrong with the book in my review :)

Casandra Totally agree with you.I just can't read more.Before starting reading this book ,I tought it will be really interesting with all Jem's creepy abilities,but it's just boring.
So,in my opinion your review it's perfect.

Zakiyah I TOTALLY AGREE! My review sounded almost exactly like yours, except Goodreads decided to be a jerk and not save my review. UGH, this book frustrated me to NO END. It was like Twilight with English slang or something. Twilight made more sense than this book, sad to say. The book was basically 80% running away where nothing really happens except they fall in love. WHAT! I was expecting her to work with the government as a recruited top secret agent or something, or for there to be more terrorist attacks that she needs to figure out for the government to save people. But no, she falls in love with Spider and angsts her way through the book. I cannot count the times I wanted to chuck this book at the wall.

The ending sucked and I can't believe there are two more books after it. WHY?!

message 9: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Belano Casandra wrote: "Totally agree with you.I just can't read more.Before starting reading this book ,I tought it will be really interesting with all Jem's creepy abilities,but it's just boring.
So,in my opinion your r..."

Me too! It was such a disappointment!

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Belano Zakiyah wrote: "I TOTALLY AGREE! My review sounded almost exactly like yours, except Goodreads decided to be a jerk and not save my review. UGH, this book frustrated me to NO END. It was like Twilight with English..."

HAHAHA! We could've made a better story than this! I don't even know what she plans for the following books.

Originally Pristine When I went onto Goodreads to check how people felt about this book, I was surprised that the best review rated the book with one star. But I decided to just go ahead and buy the book anyway. Thank goodness that I bought the book at the cheapest price on Amazon, because it was horrible. I've never realized how true your review was until I read it for a second time.

message 12: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Belano Originally wrote: "When I went onto Goodreads to check how people felt about this book, I was surprised that the best review rated the book with one star. But I decided to just go ahead and buy the book anyway. Thank..."

Dianaabi21 This book is awesome... And yes in th middle the book was bored because is stanked but in general is awesomw

message 14: by Adriana (new)

Adriana what?^

Jaylah Reads I thought the book was okay but it was pretty boring. I mean I wanted so baldly to skip some paragraphs. And in the back of the book on the summary just didn't seem to match. It made it look like all action instead of what it really was...A Love Story. Everyone talked me into reading the second book to the series and said it was MUCH better. I think Rachel got the message about it being not such a good book and fixed some mistakes. Honestly, my friends and everyone was right. Its not really boring (So far). The only thing I found odd was that it is from another person's pov and not just the son's. Which I thought was a no no. But its interesting so far. im not trying to say buy it (mostly because im sure its on Epub or something) but I was just saying its better.

message 16: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Belano Fangirl_jaylah wrote: "I thought the book was okay but it was pretty boring. I mean I wanted so baldly to skip some paragraphs. And in the back of the book on the summary just didn't seem to match. It made it look like a..."
Yeah I got the same feedback about the following book. I guess I might actually try reading it

message 17: by Hope Johanna (new)

Hope Johanna I bet the writer stole the idea from Death Note

Vincent I agree with all of your points. The ending was very predictable, as was with the whole plot. Their running away from the police was what I feel was something that the author forced in order to move the story along. And when they did run away, the author dragged out the scene, filling up pages with worthless filler text.

Stephanie I totally agree!! I paid for the book myself and I was so disappointed that I spent good money on such a waste. I only finished it just to get it over with because I bought it. I swear it took me ages..