Sophia.'s Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
6520961
* Warning: If you're easily offended by cursing, and/or aggressivity, then don't FUCKING read this. *

I am literally losing it. This book contains one of the most disturbing scenes I have ever read in any book. EVER.
So here's one excerpt from the book.

Abby slept with Travis and left his apartment in the morning without saying goodbye. This is his reaction, a few hours later :

“Travis is a fucking wreck! He won’t talk to us, he’s trashed the
apartment
, threw the stereo across the room… Shep [roommate] can’t talk any sense into him! He took a swing at Shep when he found out we helped you leave. Abby! It’s scaring me! Abby, he’s gone fucking nuts! I heard him call your name, and then he stomped all over the apartment looking for you. He barged into Shep’s room, demanding to know where you were. Then he tried to call you. Over, and over and over,” she sighed. “His face was… Jesus, Abby. I’ve never seen him like that. He ripped his sheets off the bed, and threw them away, threw his pillows away, shattered his mirror with his fist, kicked his doorbroke it from the hinges! It was the scariest thing I’ve ever seen in my life!

THIS. IS. NOT. OKAY.

It's not okay it's not okay it's not okay it's NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR. A few lines later, Abby calls him and everything's back to normal. NO. I'M SORRY BUT NO. YOU NEED TO STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM HIM!

Stalker :

A person obsessed with another to the point of insanity, I.E. following one everywhere, calling constantly, showing signs of irrational, sick and unhealthy behavior, that can sometimes lead to extreme violence.


It drives me insane to see how stalkerish behavior is considered as "hot". This book is really, really disturbing, and I don't understand how it could get published. I got 'til chapter 9 and basically I can't take it anymore.
The guy, Travis, suffers from very, very, VERY serious problems that should lead him straight into a shrink's office (if not prison). I'm serious.

Hey you girls, out there, who gave that book 5 stars, saying you want a Travis in your lives, in WHAT language do we have to tell you : it's NOT normal behavior!
And thank God that you haven't met a guy like him because then that would be fucking dramatic! Don't you understand how pathetic it is - all this characterization into unrealistic, hyper-sexualized, robotic male figures? These stories are all the fucking same!

The guy is drop dead gorgeous, he's dangerous, he's sexy, he wants you even if you're plain like hell and what he feels for you goes beyond words: Edward Cullen, Christian Grey, Patch Cipriano, Kellan Kyle, Travis Maddox, Damen Auguste or Dimitri Belikov, they're all the same!

Girls, NO ONE is going to want to watch you sleep, or forbid you to go visit your friends, or try to kill you because they love you so fucking much, because that's not what NORMAL people do!! If you ever have the misfortune to get involved with someone like that, GO FILE A FUCKING RESTRAINING ORDER already!

I find it appalling that young girls actually read this thinking this is exactly how they want to be treated like someday!
We're not pets! No fucking one in the world should be allowed to force you into behaving like a child!

And I'm also thinking about boys, they're not exactly the target audience but still; reading this must lead to wonder if this kind of behavior is what chicks like. It just spreads some sort of sickening message, "be aggressive, show your jealousy as well as the fact that she's yours, have no limits & be in control, use your strength to make a point, don't let her do what she wants because she doesn't really know what's good for her. You know better".

It's so hard to be a teenager, to try to find who you truly are, fiction that is destined to be read by young people has some kind of role, it should set examples instead of showing dysfunctional and extreme codependent relationships like they're normal, because they're not.

Hey! YOUNG. ADULTS. That means you're becoming a damn citizen, that you'll study, get to vote, graduate, get a job and make a living! How could you ever want someone to be that intrusive? To go as far as breaking your car down so you can't visit a friend?! (yes, Edward fucking Cullen I'm talking about you because YOU STARTED ALL THIS!)

Don't you realize it's an offense to your FREEDOM when a guy's literally forbidding you to get out of his house - even after you've asked him to let you go? When he's dragging you out of the car because you're making out with someone - all this when you're not even involved with him? When he's making you feel like shit because you're seeing someone else?

In fact, I won't even get started on all the stupid reactions of Abby. What kind of girl dates a sweet guy and then goes sleeping in another man's bed every night, when she HAS a choice ? She's just a (stupid, lying and masochist) tease.

Then she encourages Travis to beat the shit out of someone in the middle of the cafeteria? Seriously? Just because someone whistles at her or something, she says like "Teach him some manners!", and Travis throws himself on the man. Jesus, HONESTLY are you a beast or something? The poor guy ends up curled up in fetal position, covered in blood and unable to move.

WTF? How can you stand this? No really, how can you read this? How can you accept it? Where is your sense of civility, or your instinct of protection towards the human kind? How come no one in the cafeteria stands up and tries to stop this? Easy answer. Because everyone is fucking terrified to get hurt! Like that's normal!

It scares the shit out of me to see that some people are able to read such violence and yet remain flippant and oh-so-casual like it's no big deal. It makes me wonder, if they ever witness a real beat-up, would they react? Would they care? Or has modern entertainment succeeded in making all forms of abuse look so cavalier that it doesn't shock anyone anymore?..

Travis kept opening the door when Abby was with her date on the porch late at night, or coming in the bathroom when she was taking a shower, refusing to get out, and generally being so nosy it was a shocking wonder how NO ONE told him to fuck off! And that bitch didn't even say ANYTHING!

It's so genuinely dangerous when a guy's emotionally abusing/blackmailing you, or yelling at you for not obeying him, or trying to manipulate you! It is BUT romantic ! I don't give a damn whether the guy's a vampire, or an angel, or a fucking rock star, or if it was a bet or not, it's just NOT okay!

How could violence keep being depicted as something acceptable - let alone romantic? They're at a party and he hits a boy who TOUCHES her ARM. Honestly! It's not a game! And she keeps forgiving him, every single time.

How do you think real abusive relationships start? What do you think are the profiles of the men who end up beating up their wives and/or showing extreme paranoiac behavior? ("Did you just look at that guy? Did you fuck him? Are you cheating on me? Don't you lie to me, bitch. I can see it in your eyes!" This is how it ends, people.)

You just wait a couple of years, Abby. Just wait until he loses it, AGAIN, and ends up taking a fucking swing at you.

Again, awfully stupid and arrogant Abby stays at Travis's apartment and she sleeps in his bed because she doesn't really have a choice. Fine. But the guy's bringing chicks in the living room, having a big loud threesome.. And one day later, he takes Abby's hand, acts all warm and fuzzy, saying stuff like "You're better than this [I'm not fucking you like I fuck the rest of 'em], that's why I treat you different, don't you ever get near boys or I swear I'll destroy them." He even says "I'll end up in prison if I hear you slept with someone else". When you read something like that your fucking alarm must spark off! I don't know what to say anymore because honestly I feel like I shouldn't even have to say all this in the first place. This should be like, SURVIVAL INSTINCT.

What is this message that's conveyed? Should we girls be standing on the corner, watching our love interest that pretendedly loves us fuck his brains out with the whole planet and calmly stating "I can deal with his behavior because, well, he's really hot"? Or because he's so romantic that he managed to nickname her after the most stupid volatile on earth, a.k.a Pidgeon?

NO. FUCK NO.

Why would you want to lock yourself up in some scary relationship where in the end, you just lose everything; your independence, as well as your right to have a life that doesn't exclusively revolves around him? Why would you want to give up your liberty as an individual in order to be so tied up with your love interest that you can't even breathe on your own?

(And for those who pretendedly realized that it wasn't healthy, but yet managed to like the book anyway: why would you want to witness such a relationship? What's the pleasure in contemplating two people who never, ever realize how deep they've fallen into violence and abuse?)

EDIT :

I don't care whether Travis (supposedly) changes at the end of the book. I don't care for his pseudo redemption and/or efforts. What matters are the facts, here and now, that Abby acknowledges them while they're horrible and still manages to stay with Travis.

I couldn't finish the fucking book because I was feeling sick to my stomach - and I insist on saying the characterization of the love story was goddamn awful and should never be seen as something okay. So do you honestly think I care when you say I should have finished it before writing all this? Give me a fucking break. I have witnessed abusive relationships in real life; this book depicts the beginning of one, and the memories alone are enough to make me wanna puke. I sure as hell won't force myself to undergo the whole 400 pages.

Besides, I read on some reviews that (spoilers):

* At some point he won't let her get out of the apartment because he thinks her clothes aren't appropriate enough. Therefore he forces her to change.
Okay. May I send you back to the "This is not okay behavior" part of the review?

* They get married at Las Vegas (at 19).

* That after him getting an "Abby" tattoo, she gets one too that reads "Mrs Maddox".

I'd like to talk about this for a second. I'm a firm believer that you can love someone in an unconditional way without having to show it with material proofs. Marriage and tattoos? What is this? Travis unexpectedly got an "Abby" tattoo, without warning her, without considering the consequences of such an act (but I guess I'm asking too much from him, considering he's got tribal tattoos all over his body).
Anyway, Travis emotionally challenged her, and so she got one too. Again, what is this? A leash that she will never, ever be able to free herself from? What if their relationship doesn't last? What if they get a divorce? Basically, until the day she dies, she will look at her skin and remember that at some point in her life, she chose to mark herself not as a person, but as a wife. As someone's something. And that's just terrible.

So. *Breathe*. In my humble opinion, I think it is better that I just don't finish it. Like, ever.

I'm writing all this because I feel so MAD about this book. Women fought and still fight every day so we can be treated as equals and not as objects. I'm not going to sit still and pretend this book didn't horrify me. Because it did. It fucking did, big time.

Also believe it or not but I'm not doing this to tear the author down, I don't really care about her, my review isn't about her but about the book. It's nothing personal, I respect her as a human being. I just feel very sorry for the messages she conveys through this everything but Beautiful Disaster.

*** EDIT#2: : Yeah, so. About that. There seems to be some kind of Reviewers VS Authors movement here on Goodreads (but also on Amazon, Twitter, etc.).
Since the author of Beautiful Disaster made me be a part of it, I've decided to join here two links. The first one is a blog post, written by author Hannah Moskowvitz. Check it out, it's really good. Second one, written by Nafiza, on her blog. And I have one thing to say: you go, girl.

*** EDIT#3: : One more, because McGuire just doesn't know how to let it go.

*** EDIT#4: : Yes, I know this is way too long already but I wanted to add something. For the trolls who've been telling me for the past fucking year that this is just fiction: not only do you come off as stupidly paradoxical for being on Goodreads in the first place, because it's a website for people who feel passionate about books, but you're also wrong. When you read a book for entertainment purposes only, you're relaxed and receptive, almost vulnerable, as unconsciously, you assume that what you're reading is okay and right (otherwise it wouldn't be published, would it?) Therefore you don't really pay attention to the real meaning behind what you're reading. After all, "It's just a book", right? Wrong. Sometimes you have to wake up, and realize that what you're reading is in reality a dangerous stinking piece of shit. Yes, it's a book, but young girls read this and unconsciously absorb the messages that are being sent, and then it has an impact on the way they carry out their personal lives, without even realizing that stupid books like this one contributed to giving her a black eye and pushing her down the stairs. Because they've been reading about that "hot" behavior for so long, they've been sexualizing it and they've been associating it with good looks, and of course, with the ultimate perfect happy ending. In reality, it doesn't work like that. You can't change someone who's damaged and unstable just because you love them, no matter what the books try to tell you. Don't waste your time trying.

And the fact that Travis Maddox is described as being extremely hot is a manipulation that tries to trick you into thinking that if it's beautiful, then it must be good. Think about that: a weird, ugly guy who follows you around and destroys his apartment because you didn't pick up your phone wouldn't be hot, it'd be creepy as fuck. And that's what I'm asking you now: try to think beyond the "good looks" (and the sugarcoating that goes with it) that the medias are trying to feed you, and just think by yourself. By the way, it also leads to fucking idiotic bitches who tweet about how they wouldn't mind being beaten up by Chris Brown because he's so hot. What the fuck? There aren't enough words to say how wrong this is. What do I care, you say? I care because I'm a woman and reading this makes me ashamed.

Wake the fuck up, girls, and never accept being treated like that. You are an individual, you are important and you matter. Your decisions will have impacts. You deserve so much better than someone like this Travis-fucking-asshole. Let him go die in a fucking hole and go lead your own life like the independent and free person you are. And please, destroy the person who will so much as try to tell you otherwise.


Finally, last but not least. Due to some comments, it feels like it's time to clarify some stuff.

If this review pissed you off, or offended you, you should know that I don't give a shit about, well, what you think. If this is about my swearing, or my aggressivity, you were warned from the very first line and I don't have anything to say to you about it. You knew it was a 1 star rating so basically, no one forced you to read but yourself. Get over it and move on. Simple as.

And I know I mentioned the 5 stars ratings girls and all, but really it was just semantics, don't feel like you should comment my review to express your disagreement or your undying love for Travis, cause whatever you say, it won't change the way I feel. I mean it, don't comment. Because I don't give a fuck about what you have to say! Unless it is interesting, of course. But if you’re here to defend the psychopath and try to explain how in the end the relationship comes full circle, or why his unacceptable behavior is only masculine and protective, please SAVE YOUR TIME. (And mine).

Obviously, we won't get along and if you can't understand what I'm trying to say then it's fine, keep loving Eclipse and Blood Promise and Hush Hush, I mean, it's cool. Honestly, I'm serious, tastes and perceptions and ideals are all different and I don't have a say in this, and neither do you. So, well, you can just save your time with the comments. And fuck off already. Thank you.
5620 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

November 2, 2011 – Shelved
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: ever-heard-of-self-respect
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: go-buy-some-dignity
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: its-not-okay
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: real-bad-relationship
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: sick-and-twisted
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: give-me-a-gun-please
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: very-bad-messages
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: what-happened-to-feminism
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: overrated-as-fuck
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: zero-stars-really
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: really-disturbing
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: revolting
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: couldnt-finish-to-save-my-life
November 4, 2011 – Shelved as: can-i-kill-the-hero
January 29, 2016 – Shelved as: gave-up-on

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,969 (2969 new)


Brittany You made it further with the book than I did...


message 2: by Sophia. (last edited Dec 04, 2011 02:40AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. Thanks for liking, girl :)


Stormy “Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty. There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray


Sophia. @Stormy : Look, I'm sorry but this quote by Oscar Wilde is wrong to a certain extent. Of course, he's right, Dorian Gray caused him so much trouble because of its content.
But just consider this - if books were written just for the sake of being written, just for the beauty of the writing and absolutely nothing else, litterature wouldn't be half as much important as it is today.
Of course, the elegance of the style is fundamental but books always convey a message. Just think this through. Think about your all-time favorite book. Don't tell me you love it just because it's well written. It's too simple. Loving a book goes beyond this, alway! It's about the messages behind the words, the feeling you get when you finish it - that because you've read it, you're somehow a better person. Right now I'm thinking about Harry Potter, or To Kill a Mockingbird, but there are so many, many books that just changed our lives because they convey love, freedom, respect or courage.
Also Wilde's talking about immorality and I'm not in my review.

@Jessica and Kmag918 : It's too easy to say "it's just fiction". The power of fiction is to make us think about precisely what isn't fictional.

In this book, the relationship isn't healthy, nor romantic.
At some point she encourages him to beat someone up in the cafeteria, or when they're at a party he PUNCHES a guy because he simply touched Abby's arm. That's insane.

You're saying I'm being mean, but I'm not and honestly it's out of the point. A boy, no matter who he is or how hot he is, should never, ever behave the way Travis does. Fucked-up messages like this are revolting, especially in young adults litterature, where girls just get inspired reading this. Travis showed signs of extreme violence and that wasn't normal. I kept thinking he was going to hit her at some point and this is just alarming.

To think that some girls thought "Oh my godness, Travis is SO hot, I wish some guy would just love me and protect me the way Travis does, I wish my boyfriend would knock someone out just for me" is horrible.

It's also irrelevant to say "get over it it's just fiction" because you've given it 5 stars and that proves you didn't see it entirely as a work of fiction. What I'm trying to say is, I could never say "well it's just fiction but gosh I loved it. I loved the way he fictionnaly treated her, I loved the way they fictionnaly got along so well, and I loved how she slept in his fictionnal bed while she was dating her fictional boyfriend".

Also I respect the author as a human being - I just deeply despise her book. And I'm not cruel saying this. I don't even want to talk about her because I'm not interested in who she is, even if I'm sure she's nice and everything. I just read a book and was utterly revolted by it. That's it. I don't write reviews for the spectacle, as Jessica seems to think, and the simple idea that I am is ridiculous.


message 5: by Sophia. (last edited Nov 29, 2011 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. Mandy wrote: "First off, let me say that just because a person gave 5 stars to a book doesn't mean they don't see that book as "entirely fiction". To many, the allure of books is simply escaping the reality, and..."

I'm going to answer the part about D. Belikov, through a scene that I hope will illustrate my point. So this has strictly nothing to do with my original review, and it's gonna be quite long.. Here goes :

Book 1: Rose caught during a making out session with Jesse

"It was like he'd never noticed me before, he was checking me out"..."And I suddenly realized I was only in jeans and a bra—a black bra at that."
"Even a guy like Dimitri, one who seemed so focused on duty and training and all of that, had to appreciate that."

[Because he's your teacher and of course he likes to check you out all the time. That is so neutral and okay.]

"Get dressed.”
The set of his mouth hardened, and whatever he'd just felt was gone. That fierceness sobered me up and"..."I immediately pulled my shirt back on, uneasy at seeing his badass side."

[Sure, it's so badass when a guy is bossing you around like you're 7.]

...
"Be quiet," he snapped, "Do you have any idea how stupid this was? I'm talking about the stupidity of getting in that kind of situation in the first place.”
"I get in that kind of situation all the time. It's not a big deal." Anger replaced my fear. I didn't like being treated like a child.

[Really?]

"It is a big deal for a Moroi to be with a dhampir girl. They like to brag.”
"So?”
"So?"he looked disgusted. "So don't you have any respect? ... You make yourself look cheap. You live up to what a lot of people already think about dhampir girls, and it reflects back on me.”

[What does this have to do with him? And how can she remain silent when he tells her she's cheap? He doesn't have the right to say that!]

"Now get back to your room — if you can manage it without throwing yourself at someone else.”

[This. Is. Beyond. Fucked. Up. I swear to God, this is a outrageous in regards to her integrity as a teenager. He is an adult, yes, but doesn't have the right to talk to her this way. No one does. It's unbelievable that she lets him tear her down without saying anything]

"Is that your subtle way of calling me a slut?”
"I hear the stories you guys tell. I've heard stories about you.”

[Threats, yeah?]

"Ouch. I wanted to yell back that it was none of his business what I did with my body, but something about the anger and disappointment on his face made me falter."

[How could Rose Hathaway ever be seen as a kickass chick, and a strong woman? How? Sure, it's great to be good at fighting your well-known ennemies, especially when it's your job and when you've been training your whole life in order to achieve that.
But sometimes attacks come from the closest people and it is then that you have to react.]

"It suddenly made me feel as cheap as he'd implied I was. Something broke inside of me. "

[What?? She gave him that much power! How could he do that to her when what she did was simply KISSING a guy on a goddamn couch!]

[...]
"Rose…I can teach you, but I have to believe you're dedicated.Really dedicated. I can't have you distracted by things like this." He gestured around the lounge. "Can I trust you?”

[Basically, he is making her promise that she won't be fooling around again. Because that would be distracting. BUT, he doesn't mind being the one who'll distract her. Hey, jackass, double standards much?]

"Again, I felt like crying under that gaze, under the seriousness of what he asked."

[But don't forget to remain silent and obedient. Be a good girl and listen to your Dad mentor.]

"I didn't get how he could have such a powerful effect on me. I'd never cared so much about what one person thought."..."Yes. I promise.” "

[Yeah, you do that. It's like, the best decision of your life.]
...
SO. This was the moment when I lost pratically all the respect I had for Dimitri Belikov.
"Pratically" because I lost it in totality during book 6, when he talks way too much about how he "respects' and "admires" Adrian Ivashkov and how he could never ever ever fuck his girlfriend. The guy changed his mind, like, 7 pages later. Right.

Oh yeah and add to this all the scenes when he was turned into a Strigoi and through said status was conveniently able to behave like a psychopath : she was his sexual and "blood whore" slave, as well as his prisonner. Really. I understood the point of the author but reading Rose going on and on about how she's wearing his diamonds and his dresses was sickening.
And add all the moments when he fucked with her mind, disrespecting her because of her age and her need to live like a 17-year-old, yet expecting Rose to remain pure and innocent - just so he could take care of her virginity this himself, later on. The feminist that I am felt like burning those books in a huge bonfire.


message 6: by Krista (new)

Krista I'm glad you wrote this review. Someone really needed to. I'm sorry for all the negative comments your getting, but know that there are a lot of people who do agree with you!


message 7: by Sophia. (last edited Dec 03, 2011 04:30AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. Thank you! <3


message 8: by Sunnykimmy (new)

Sunnykimmy Ok so I read your review. And I agree. Trashing your place because your girl left your room without saying goodbye is not okay. And I agree that that's how abusive relationships start and women excuse this behavior and years later they ask themselves how they ended up beaten by the guy they thought was "harmless".
But the truth is I liked Blood Promise and Twilight. While in reality I wouldn't date Edward, just because he's Edward or Dimitri, because he was a teacher and I don't think a relationship with a teacher would work for me. When I read the books though, it worked.
But I'm glad you wrote this review. If I read this book I’ll have an idea of what to expect.
Have you read Fifty Shades of Grey? I'm sure you'll love Grey :D. You'll also love Jeremy and Drew from Remembrance. And Tate from Devour. They were all guys I didn't like for the exact same reasons stated above. Or maybe with Grey it's just that I don't get the appeal of S&M. I don't know. Maybe you can help me, because I couldn’t get up the courage to finish the book yet.


message 9: by Sophia. (last edited Dec 04, 2011 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. Sunnykimmy wrote: "Ok so I read your review. And I agree. Trashing your place because your girl left your room without saying goodbye is not okay. And I agree that that's how abusive relationships start and women exc..."

Thank you, girl :)
Okay so for Edward, well for obvious reasons I hate the guy. He treats Bella the way he would a child, even worse maybe. For Dimitri, maybe I overreacted, I know they work together, but I can't ignore some shocking reactions of his, you know (see my previous comment)?
About the books you've mentionned, you should enlighten me as I haven't read any of them. Are they really bad? I have to say that the simple mention of "S&M" is enough to make me run for the hills haha so I don't know.. :)


message 10: by Sunnykimmy (new)

Sunnykimmy Yeah I saw your comments on Dimitri and I see your point. I loved the book. But even before I saw your comments on him I wouldn't date him. He's a teacher and I don't think a relationship between a teacher and a student can work. I have the feeling that the guy can't really treat you as an equal. And I noticed that sometimes in the book, but because Rose wasn't always making the smartest decisions I think it worked for her. She needed someone to talk some sense into her and help her handle the whole Lissa situation.

While I'm not into S&M(it also makes me run for the hills), I've found that I can read BDSM books, because I don't really notice the S&M part in them. The Demonica books for instance, there were no whips or anything like that. I expected the same thing in Fifty Shades. Alarm bells were going off from the start but I kept on reading up until the guy started hitting the girl thinking she'd like it. The really sad part was that she didn't. At all. (Neither did I). That's when I stopped reading.

I mentioned Remembrance and Devour, not because I didn't like the books, but because sometimes the characters got on my nerves.

Tate from Devour was basically created to be hated. He was the jealous boyfriend who thought his girlfriend had to accept everything he did, without comment. And at first she did and it annoyed me.

Jeremy from Remembrance was kind of like that, only he didn't seem to notice.
And Drew, also from Remembrance, kept pushing the girl away and then pulling her to him.

The story was pretty good though and Drew's behavior made a more sense in the end, although he could've gone about it in a different way.


Sophia. Sunnykimmy wrote: "Yeah I saw your comments on Dimitri and I see your point. I loved the book. But even before I saw your comments on him I wouldn't date him. He's a teacher and I don't think a relationship between a..."

I see what you mean about the whole teacher/student relationship. I have actually never witnessed one so I wouldn't know how it works, but I can't picture myself involved in one. That would be so weird. Like, REALLY weird. I think there has to be balance, you know, but in VA sometimes there just wasn't. Like, Dimitri doesn't want to be with her because he's her teacher and she's supposedly way too young, but on the other hand the guy doesn't want her to fool around - something that she should be able to do. And Dimitri never really treats her as an equal (even when he says he always did in book 6. Liar). And you're right, he's like always restraining her need of action, but still they were some serious disturbing moments in these books.

I'm so sick and tired of male figures in YA that are overly dominant; I don't think I'll be reading books that might feature one (certainly not 50 Shades of Grey *shudders*) any time soon. I really need a break, haha. Or maybe I should give Remembrance a shot? Are any of those you mentionned really worth reading? :)


message 12: by Sunnykimmy (new)

Sunnykimmy ※ Sophia ※ wrote: "Sunnykimmy wrote: "Yeah I saw your comments on Dimitri and I see your point. I loved the book. But even before I saw your comments on him I wouldn't date him. He's a teacher and I don't think a rel..."

Yeah I'd stay away from Fifty Shades of Grey if you're not into S&M. I wish I had.

I've never witnessed a sudent teacher relationship either, but I have a feeling that I wouldn't want to be in one either.

And you're right, Dimitri didn't treat her as an equal, I think that's inevitable when you date a teacher. But I think that in book 5/6 he started to try, because the tables were turned. He needed her then even if he didn't want to admit it.

But I kind of understood him telling her not to fool around. In general, she's allowed to do it, but she was at school, so I think as a teacher he was in his right. But putting her down as a slut was not his place.


I liked the premise of Remembrance, I love anything that deals with reincarnation and soulmates. But I was annoyed by both guys at different moments in the book.
If you can get over that, the story is pretty good.

I liked Devour, but it was very similar to other books I read by the same author, so I ended up just liking it. Because I wish it was more different. If you've never read anything by Shelly Crane, I suggest you try it. You might like it.

To me it was a little like reading books by V.C Andrews. I think if you've read one of V.C. Andrews' series, you've read all of them, because the core of the story is the same. While Shelly Crane's books aren't as bad, based on the 3 books I've read by her, I've noticed similarities between the way the story is built. I don't know how to explain it. Because at the same time the stories are different.


message 13: by Sophia. (last edited Dec 04, 2011 03:06PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. I'll check them out and let you know about it, okay? You rock girl :)


message 14: by Sunnykimmy (new)

Sunnykimmy Okay. LOL.


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow. Sounds like this guy needs a bullet in the head.


Sophia. Well, I'm against violence really, so I wouldn't have him shot, haha, but I do know that he's dangerous. No one (let alone teenage girls) should be romantically involved with someone who presents this kind of behavior, unless there is some kind of medical follow-up. Thank you for liking :) <3


Torie I gave the book four stars, but I totally understand where you're coming from regarding the borderline abusive behavior Travis exhibits. He's extremely controlling concerning who she hangs around with (E.G. Dragging guys away from her and threatening them) and constantly demonstrates his inability to control his aggressive nature. I don't know what it is about men, nowadays, that has has girls wanting the bad boy. For some reason, relationships like Blair and Chuck's from Gossip girl, Bella and Edward's from Twilight, or Abby and Travis' from this book, are sought after. These weird, incompatible, passionate, borderline abusive, intense relationships where the men are dominant and in control are looked at as ideal for girls in our society ( To be fair though, I do rather like Chuck and Blair. HAHA).

Yeah, I view that as wrong and no, I, unlike a lot of other readers, don't see that as an acceptable message to portray to girls. But I don't know. This book fulfills the ultimate fantasy for girls, which I think most people focus on rather than the whole violent aspect of it. What they like, more than anything else I think, is that Travis picked Abby despite all the other girls he could have (cause he's such an "irresistible bad boy." haha). I think they just envision themselves in Abby's role and enjoy being picked out of everyone else.


message 18: by Sophia. (last edited Jan 11, 2012 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. Torie wrote: "I gave the book four stars, but I totally understand where you're coming from regarding the borderline abusive behavior Travis exhibits. He's extremely controlling concerning who she hangs around ..."

Before I reply : thank you Torie, for loving the book and yet being able to understand my point of view. I didn't think that day would happen haha. And all of this being both kind and smart? You've just earned my respect! :)
I don't know either why girls are looking up to this kind of relationships. The whole "I'm plain but he picked me, ME" thing is highgly possible, but still, don't you think it should be expressed differently? Being involved with such dominant and possessive male figures isn't the only solution. There are plenty of other ways (and other books) for a guy to show you he loves YOU without him putting you on a leash, you know? I see the appeal of the whole bad boy concept but only if it's limited, here, I think Travis goes too far too many times. Oh, and I don't really watch Gossip Girl so I wouldn't know, but isn't Blair supposed to be a strong character? I'm not sure about this one though. Thanks again for your comment! <3


Torie Right. Beautiful Disaster is like Twilight where it demonstrates who exactly you should steer away from. Controlling how you look, controlling who you see, being emotionally abusive (breaking things if she doesn't see things his way) and manipulative should send up red flags to any girl! It's just kind of a shame that in this book, it supports it and romanticizes it. There's a distinct line between being protective and being controlling, and I think Travis crossed that line a long time ago. I think Parker was supposed to represent the good guy that loves you without being domineering, but McGuire made us see that conventional love as something bad and something to steer away from. She kind of portrayed him as gay, too. HAHA

Also, I agree with you on the whole "pigeon" nickname. So gross. That's like your boyfriend nicknaming you "rat" or "diseased."

Still liked the book though despite the far-out (and sometimes stupid) plot twists. I cringed when I found out she had his name tattooed on her side and at the thought of them getting married in Vegas. It all read very white-trash and naive to me. But there was a softer side to their torrential relationship that was very cute and drew me in despite all of the cheesiness and cliches. I don't know. I totally understand why this isn't everyone's cup of tea. Part of me wanted to give it two stars because of the bad writing and poor characterization, the other wanted me to give it five because I finished the book and found myself liking it anyway.


Sophia. Torie wrote: "Right. Beautiful Disaster is like Twilight where it demonstrates who exactly you should steer away from. Controlling how you look, controlling who you see, being emotionally abusive (breaking thi..."

Oh my God, does Parker end up gay, or is it just an expression for him being so.. I don't know, passive?? I didn't finish the book.. so I wouldn't know.
What's also disturbing is the fact that for a very long time, Abby doesn't make a choice. I understand back-and-forth relation ships, as it something that very much exists in real life, you know, but still, here it was so disturbing. The whole "I date Parker but good night I'm sleeping with Travis" was SO.. Wrong! It once again reminds me of Twilight ; like Bella knows she's chosen Edward, but STILL she WANTS Jacob. Just like a kid. Until the very end, she won't let him go, and that's just hurting everyone. Especially the second choice guy.

I only heard about the whole tattoo thing through reviews. I don't like the sound of it at all. I think marriage is a huge deal, and they're only 19.. But this is only a personnal stance, I mean, I firmly believe that if you're young, and you truly love the one you want to marry, then you can always wait a couple more years.. What's the rush? They haven't even graduated yet. And.. "Mrs Maddox". Real mature.

And : Absolutely, definitely, YES for what you're saying on the pidgeon nickname. When he first called her that I was sure I'd misread somehow. Pidge. LOL. And he keeps calling her like that, again and again, like at EVERY SINGLE sentence. It's so annoying, we get it! He makes fun of Parker for calling her Abs, but really he should take a look at himself. I mean honestly in all the birds of the whole universe he chose this. Really. You're so right with Rat or Diseased, hahaha. Why not Vulture while he's at it, too? *Sigh*

I know where you're coming from with the whole "it's a guilty pleasure" thingy, really we all have those. But in this book.. I don't know it was just too strong for me to overlook, you know? Also friendship accepted, of course ! :D


message 21: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Dec 13, 2011 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ GREAT review. While I actual gave it 3-stars, I struggled with many of the same point you did. If you haven't already, I hope you post it on Amazon. You'll have to remove all the swearing and use dashes "----" in their place, though.


Sophia. Thanks so much! <3 I can't post it on Amazon though.. Only those who have ordered the book on Amazon can post reviews, right? As I don't have an Amazon account I can't do that..


message 23: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Dec 13, 2011 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ ※ Sophia ※ wrote: "Thanks so much! ordered the book on Amazon can post reviews, right? As I don't have an Amazon account I can't do that.."

Nope, anyone can post reviews on Amazon. It's why I suggested you post yours, there tends to be a shortage of honest reviews over there. Many feel manufactured, if you know what I mean.


Basirat Atif lols you sound like really really mad at this book hahaha. Take it easy girl, it is just a book and honestly I really liked it even though it is not my type. But I guess Travis was not the type to fall in love, it was like he didn't ever expected it so I guess that's why he was behaving all crazy.


message 25: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop hey there!

i havent read this book, but i love your review so much!lol


Sophia. Lolliepop wrote: "hey there!

i havent read this book, but i love your review so much!lol"


Aww, thank you girl! :D <3


Sophia. KarLynP wrote: "※ Sophia ※ wrote: "Thanks so much! ordered the book on Amazon can post reviews, right? As I don't have an Amazon account I can't do that.."

Nope, anyone can post reviews on Amazon. It's why I sugg..."


Oh, okay. I definitely agree with you about the manufactured reviews on Amazon. Take any book (but mostly YA), if you check out the reviews, half of them sound phony and look like they've been written by the author, or like by corrupted agents,hahaha.


Sophia. Basirat wrote: "lols you sound like really really mad at this book hahaha. Take it easy girl, it is just a book and honestly I really liked it even though it is not my type. But I guess Travis was not the type to ..."

Of course I'm angry with this book! The messages it conveys drive me crazy, is it that hard to understand? But what shocks me even more is how girls acknowledged (just like Abby) the serious issues of Travis, and thought the book was awesome! Freedom is a huge deal and no one should be able to take it away from you.


message 29: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista Your review made me laugh! I haven't read the book but, I kind of want to to see how far along I can make it lol.


Pamela (slytherpuff) Thanks for this review. It sounds a lot like some Twilight fanfiction I've read and couldn't finish. I think I'll blacklist this one, too.


Sophia. Krista wrote: "Your review made me laugh! I haven't read the book but, I kind of want to to see how far along I can make it lol."

Oh, thank you!! I strongly recommend you NOT to read it, but curiosity is definitely something I can understand. Let me know your thoughts, if you ever check it out :)


Sophia. Pamela wrote: "Thanks for this review. It sounds a lot like some Twilight fanfiction I've read and couldn't finish. I think I'll blacklist this one, too."

Thank you :):)
Twilight fanfiction? OMG, the horror!! Haha I don't know how you could try reading one, congrats for the effort :)


message 33: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Hi Sophia! I loved your review. No, really I did, it was passionately written, and you were completely fair in your assessment and I totally agreed with almost everything you wrote.
So... you may have noticed that I am one of those 5 star girls... LOL.
Honestly, I don't know why I read these books. It's a guilty pleasure and I'm slightly ashamed of it.
Do I live this life? Hell no! Do I want to live this life? Double hell no! I'm with you, if a man like this was interested in me in real life I'd run as fast as my stubbly legs could go to the nearest police station for a restraining order.
Do I want to read about these kinds of men? Yes, yes! Oh my gosh yes! And no, I don't get it either, but there it is.


message 34: by Sophia. (last edited Dec 15, 2011 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. Tori wrote: "Hi Sophia! I loved your review. No, really I did, it was passionately written, and you were completely fair in your assessment and I totally agreed with almost everything you wrote.
So... you may..."


Hey Tori :) Thank you for your liking (and your compliments), I really appreciate it :D
Hum... About what you're saying, honestly I'm not sure I get it, haha. I understand the whole guilty pleasure thing, but only to a certain extent, like "I shouldn't eat that much chocolate but God it's good". It can only go so far in my mind.
But liking this, enjoying books where girls are being bossed around and guys acting like psycho? Hell no, you said it yourself :)
I don't know, I just can't overlook it. I don't find any pleasure in it, just anger and ... disappointment, maybe? That someone from my own gender would write that? Maybe fantasms of submission/hyper sexualized bad boys aren't my thing :/
But I suppose it's fine if you're aware of it being dangerous, you know? Like knowing it's something you could never tolerate in real life is already a good beginning. I guess. Right? What's really bugging is the fact that some people just don't see Travis's issues, like everything he does is perfectly normal. That, I think, is scary..
Thank you again :)


message 35: by Amber (new) - rated it 1 star

Amber I started to skim through this book before reading it, and immediately got weirded out. So I decided to read what people thought about it, and came across your review. Thank you for saving me the time! And making me laugh. But I really do like Kellan Kyle. :]


Sophia. Amber wrote: "I started to skim through this book before reading it, and immediately got weirded out. So I decided to read what people thought about it, and came across your review. Thank you for saving me the..."

Aww, you're welcome! :D
(It's not that I hate Kellan in particular -well I do, sort of- but the person I mostly had a problem with was Kierra and her fucked-up sense of relationships, you know? I'm not at all a fan of cheating so I really didn't like the plot - or Kellan, mostly for what they did to Denny. And the constant descriptions of Kellan being too hot to live, and her blushing & smiling drove me crazy!)


message 37: by Sophia. (last edited Dec 16, 2011 12:51AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. I know, right? I hate it when authors make the love interest so damn beautiful you can't even picture him. It's nonsense.
And the repetitions; I had the ebook version and I checked it out while I was reading: 638 "smiles" and 152 "blush". It's quite unbelievable, really! It didn't even make sense with her personnality, I mean, she's 21.. Get a grip, girl!


Torie Did you read this btw? :http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

haha


message 39: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Ugh! I completely agree about Keira. I have never wanted to smack the "heroine" in a book I've read as much as I wanted to smack her. Most Annoying Heroine Ever!
Hmmm maybe that's why I like this book. It feeds my secret violent tendencies. ;)


Sophia. Torie wrote: "Did you read this btw? :http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

haha"


Yeah, I did. LOL.


Sophia. Tori wrote: "Ugh! I completely agree about Keira. I have never wanted to smack the "heroine" in a book I've read as much as I wanted to smack her. Most Annoying Heroine Ever!
Hmmm maybe that's why I like this ..."


She deserves that award so much hahaha!! I couldn't get myself to finish, I think I stopped when Kellan is acting all weird saying shit like "Would you like me to fill you?" hahahaha when serving coffee. Like, seriously???
I suppose they get together in the end, don't they? I liked Denny. Poor guy. Double crossed by his two favorite persons in the world. Isn't that horrible?


Vivien Fung *high five*


Sophia. Vivien wrote: "*high five*"

*high fived my computer*
:D


message 44: by Nikka (new)

Nikka You just made my day. I literally just went on a rant to a friend this morning about a book I was reading where the girl is kidnapped by some hot vampire and with in 24 hours she sleeps with him. SERIOUSLY? Who the fuck does that? Your amazing rant touches on that and so much more. Thank you!


message 45: by Sophia. (last edited Dec 18, 2011 04:54AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sophia. Nikka wrote: "You just made my day. I literally just went on a rant to a friend this morning about a book I was reading where the girl is kidnapped by some hot vampire and with in 24 hours she sleeps with him. S..."

Ohh, thank you so much!! :)
Hahahaha oh my God what is this book??!
I really can't stand vampires anymore.. The only author I loved was Anne Rice, because she knew what she was talking about. Anything post the Twilight era? No thank you!
:)


message 46: by Dayla (new)

Dayla I did find this novel entertaining, but I've got to say, you're very right with your review! I guess I'm one of those girls that likes looking at these types of books like Hush Hush, and Beautiful Disaster, but me liking them doesn't stop me from agreeing with you. Good job on voicing your opinion, very well said.


Sophia. Dayla wrote: "I did find this novel entertaining, but I've got to say, you're very right with your review! I guess I'm one of those girls that likes looking at these types of books like Hush Hush, and Beautiful ..."

Thank you Dayla :)


message 48: by Jackie (last edited Dec 19, 2011 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jackie I just want to say THANK YOU for being the voice of reason on this book. I finished it last night and I can't tell you how angry I was that this book was recommended to me by grown women who found Travis and his volatile behavior sexy. And this is coming from a person who gave 4 stars to the Twilight series!! This isn't "book crack" because even crack as bad as it is for you still gives some type of pleasure to the user. This book was so horrendously bad that it only caused me to get angry. Red, boiling Travis "Mad Dog" type of angry. So angry that is this wasn't on my nook I would have seriously burned it. I don't usually get angry over books. My one exception was The Lovely Bones- (view spoiler) I didn't get what the moral of the story was supposed to be.

I read the blog post the author did on your review and well, besides being appalled that she tried calling you out for what this book really is her justification- dysfuntional people fall in love too was just straight out whack. I have no other words for it. Yeah, dysfuntional people are allowed happiness too and they fall in love, but they should also work through their issues and not use someone as a crutch to get them through life. I didn't see any working through issues or any silver lining to this book.

So anyway, now that I've ranted to your rant...thank you :)


message 49: by Leland (last edited Dec 19, 2011 08:36AM) (new)

Leland Thank you for the warning Sophia. Young girls should not see this sort of relationship as a norm. It sounds pretty clearly like an abusive relationship. Anyone thinking that this is love is wrong. Run, don't walk, away from men (and women for that matter) like this.

Oh and...What Jackie said above too. (except I haven't read this book and now I never will)


message 50: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Dec 19, 2011 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Jackie wrote: "I read the blog post the author did on your review and well, besides being appalled that she tried calling you out for what this book really is her justification- dysfuntional people fall in love too was just straight out whack. ..."

Whaaattt???!!!! No way, must find blog post.

ETA: found it, reading now...
http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 59 60
back to top