Miranda Reads's Reviews > The Lifeboat at the End of the Universe

The Lifeboat at the End of the Universe by Simon Brading

bookshelves: received-to-review, 2018-abc-reading-challenge

4.5 stars.
description
The "Big Crunch" - aka the ever-expanding universe shrinking back into itself and destroying everything and everyone - is about to happen.
'The problem is that we kind of forgot this was going to happen.'
And humanity procrastinated their way to an early grave.

Maybe.

Billions of years ago, humans created "Lifeboats" - aka space ships. Lifeboats were to carry humanity across the universe and escape the Big Crunch's gravitational pull.

Only, humanity didn't start in time and now what's left of the human race is frantically piloting their Lifeboats to the edges of the universe in the hopes that they aren't too late.

Every Lifeboat comes stocked with 1 Adam (an AI in charge of the ship), 199 artificial humans (robot servants to keep everything running) and millions of humans (kept asleep in stasis pods).

The humans are woken up in groups of ten ever few thousand years to prevent the negative effects of long-term stasis from affecting their brains.

We follow the Adam as he manages the latest bunch of humans...only these humans are noticing things that they shouldn't be and he can't stop their suspicions.
Unfortunately, we have lost contact with some of the other Lifeboats, but there is no need to worry; there are many possible causes for the loss of contact...it does not necessarily mean that it has been destroyed
This was an unexpectedly riveting read - I was fully engrossed and really hope that there might be a sequel some day. (Though with that ending, perhaps not!)

The 2018 ABC Challenge - L

With many thanks to the author for a free copy in exchange for an honest review

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat at the End of the Universe.

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by AoF (new)

AoF Your review got me! I'm intrigued. Fabulous review, Miranda!

Miranda Reads Kat wrote: "Your review got me! I'm intrigued. Fabulous review, Miranda!"

You should totally check it out! It's a quick read :)

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara It seems humans have a lot of hubris. Even if the universe collapses they figure they should go on. Ha ha ha.
Nice review Miranda. :)

Miranda Reads Barbara wrote: "It seems humans have a lot of hubris. Even if the universe collapses they figure they should go on. Ha ha ha.
Nice review Miranda. :)"

Thank you :) and I totally agree!

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis Great review!! And thanks for the heads up about the freebie copies. I just picked up one.

Miranda Reads Fabulous :) this is my favorite one from Brading :)

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash Great review! Just got my free copy, too! I'm excited to read it :) Thank you, Miranda!

Miranda Reads Woohoo :)

message 9: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!! :)

Miranda Reads Thank you!

message 11: by Simon (last edited May 23, 2018 01:59PM) (new) - added it

Simon Brading I managed to give away 101 copies in total last weekend, which isn't bad for a nobody! Thank you for helping me out!

Miranda Reads Simon wrote: "I managed to give away 101 copies in total last weekend, which isn't bad for a nobody! Thank you for helping me out!"

Whoa. That's a ton! Congrats and good luck with the books :)

message 13: by Simon (new) - added it

Simon Brading Miranda wrote: "Simon wrote: "I managed to give away 101 copies in total last weekend, which isn't bad for a nobody! Thank you for helping me out!"

Whoa. That's a ton! Congrats and good luck with the books :)"

Thank you!

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis Simon wrote: "I managed to give away 101 copies in total last weekend, which isn't bad for a nobody! Thank you for helping me out!"

Miranda's pretty awesome like that! =)
Congrats!

message 15: by Simon (new) - added it

Simon Brading She is indeed!
Cheers!

Miranda Reads Simon wrote: "She is indeed!
Cheers!"

woot woot :)

message 17: by Simon (new) - added it

Simon Brading Miranda wrote: "woot woot :)"

hehe, you do come up with some interesting noises...

Miranda Reads I aim to please :p