Erin Parke's Reviews > The Hazel Wood

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

"Life never turns out how you imagine it will when you're young. Everything is smaller than you think, or too big. It all smells a little funny and fits like somebody else's shirt."

I received this book as a part of my Owlcrate subscription and at first, it didn't really seem to be my cop of tea. I generally like fantasy, but YA fantasy tends to be a little ... too much for me. I considered just shelving this in my classroom and calling it a day.

Man, am I glad I didn't.

First of all, Melissa Albert's prose is enchanting. Her style grabbed me and wrapped me in a giant fluffy body pillow. I had thought that book might be pure fluff, but when Alice starts off the book by talking about her near-kidnapping, I knew this would be more of the darker side of fantasy, and when Twice-Killed Katherine appeared, I knew that this was the book for me.

I had just finished reading Get in Trouble, and this was the perfect YA follow-up to Link's dark magic realism, with Albert adding a little bit more magic to the realism. I wanted more of the Hinterland, and when I discovered it was a series, I was very excited. I cannot wait to read the rest!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hazel Wood.

February 18, 2018 – Shelved