Kars's Reviews > The Twenty Days of Turin

The Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio De Maria

bookshelves: fiction, weird

Worse, rather than helping its users connect, the Library consumes their privacy in a “web of mutual espionage . . . malicious and futile.”

Replacing a chain of command, we have friendless deviants who prompt equally friendless imitators far away through a sort of perverse quantum entanglement; the atomized lead the atomized.

Those who are unmoving, those who are beyond suspicion—as far as they are inert and familiar—and yet soaked in blood from head to toe, have always found ideal living conditions and absolute safety in our country. Millions of mouths have always protected them, whether screaming their praises or staying firmly zipped.

What a weird, unsettling little book. A city atomised by a seemingly benign pre-digital social technology. Statues of a culture's prophets, leaders and heros come alive to engage each other in mortal combat, wielding human bodies as clubs…

It all sounds ghastly, but the horror is subdued and reported on in a deadpan manner by the book's protagonist who thinks all of this has happened in the past and will never happen again, but as he starts digging comes to realise history will repeat itself.

I'm pretty sure this will haunt me for quite some time to come. For something first published at the end of the seventies, this feels troublingly current.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twenty Days of Turin.

February 18, 2018 – Shelved