Karina Read's Reviews > Winds of Fate

Winds of Fate by Mercedes Lackey

liked it

3/3.5 - this is a tricky one to rate! Headline - i enjoyed it.

So this is my first Mercedes Lackey story and although I know it’s probably not the best place to start in her Valdemar series, I didn’t feel at a disadvantage. I effortlessly fell into this world and so far, i like what i read.

The world building is intricate and we’re introduced to several different peoples in this world but at no point is it ‘info-dumpy’ nor are there large portions of the story intended to catch us up with the greater Valdemar series. I was surprised by how easily I got to grips with the mythology of this world and the characters despite not having read from the traditional starting point.

The characters are interesting and well rounded and the plot was engaging. However, the writing is a bit simplistic for me, especially for epic fantasy, and i felt like i was reading a book that’s suitable for children, which isn’t what I lean towards usually. I found this to contrast a bit with the plot as there are darker themes running throughout this novel that are distinctly adult. I was also surprised when Darkwind described Elspeth as being 10 years older than his lover who is 17. From Elspeth’s behaviour and thoughts I pictured her around 18-20 and thought Darkwind to be around 21. Now i’m totally confused about how old everyone is. This may not be important to you but I liked to understand character ages in order to decided whether their behaviour and attitude in relation to others is realistic. I get very frustrated when I don’t know the exact ages. But that’s a personal issue that may not bother you.

Overall, i did really enjoy this book, i itched to keep reading it and i even dreamt about it at one point which is unusual for me. The world building is very rich, that’s perhaps where the simple prose helps. While not much happened in this novel it definitely sets the trilogy up well and places the characters where they need to be while also giving the reader the key knowledge needed to enjoy the series as a stand-alone. I found the ending a bit neat and it was a little unbelievable that the group of characters trusted each other straight away and were keen to battle together so quickly. Hopefully those relationships will develop more believably in the second.

But, any book with bondbirds, gryphons, companion-horses-but-actually-guardian-spirits and sentient swords (amongst other magical creatures!) get my vote as worth reading. So far a standard quest fantasy that i really enjoyed despite it’s obvious flaws! An easy fantasy read if you’re looking to take a break from some of the more intense fantasies out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winds of Fate.

February 18, 2018 – Started Reading
February 18, 2018 – Shelved
February 18, 2018 –
page 140
30.57% "Enjoying this one so far!"
February 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison I really enjoy her Elemental Masters books.

Karina Read Alison wrote: "I really enjoy her Elemental Masters books."

Ooh that’s good to know :) i enjoyed this, it’s just not the best thing i’ve ever read. I’ve read the first chapter of the second one and it’s already contradicted stuff from the end of the first one 🙈 still a fun read though 😄

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison Karina wrote: "Alison wrote: "I really enjoy her Elemental Masters books."

I’m not so much of a pure fantasy reader, so these and her Diana Tregarde, fairy tales etc are what I like.