Stephanie's Reviews > Batman: Noël

Batman by Lee Bermejo

Nov 01, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novels-and-comics

Lee Bermejo, who has illustrated such fascinating character tellings as Joker and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, sets down his brush long enough to try his hand at writing. His storytelling is, incredulously, as amazing and dedicated as his artwork. In Batman: Noel, he cleverly infuses Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol with the superhero icon Batman and his city of Gotham, assigning Barbara Ciardo the role of colorist. Bermejo still provides visuals that will take your breath away, but this time he lets Ciardo light them all aglow in snowy whites and holiday reds, blues, and yellows. Superman himself illuminates a trash-heaped alley with his usual primary colors, now festively bright and cheery.

The only thing that suffers in Bermejo's script is the ending, which is kind of abrupt and lacking, but otherwise Noel is a captivating and intelligent read. It's definitely a perfect gift for comic book fans this winter season.

Keep an eye out for my interview with Lee Bermejo. I'll update my review here with the link, or you can visit whatistechnoagain.com for new postings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.