Franjessca 's Reviews > The Foul Mouth and the Fanged Lady

The Foul Mouth and the Fanged Lady by Richard Raley

Nov 01, 2011

bookshelves: book-to-review, requested-reviews, books-read-in-2011, urban-fantasy, indie
Read from November 13 to 28, 2011

I was skeptical at first to read this kind of book, but once I started reading, I really got into it. First off, this was the first book I read where it takes you into different time periods of someone and the person is recording the story. You learned about the main character, King Henry Price (Yes...that's his name) from his 14 year old self and then at 22 years old. At 14 years old you found out how Henry's life is with his parents and when he met Ceinwyn Dale who happened to be tracking Mancers to save them from themselves and teach them their powers at a Asylum that she wants Henry to go to. She can't save everyone though and you find out who she is unable to save in the book. That is when Henry learns he is a Mancer himself and he's particularly a "Geomancer". At 22 years old, we learn how Henry has grown out of his "Foul Mouth Teenage self" and now is trying to make a living out of the Asylum running a Antique Shop, but with a twist on his real powers as a Mancer. That is when he is approached by a Vampire (The Fanged Lady), Annie B who needs his help...and she won't take any answer, but yes. I was a little thrown off at first on going back and forth to Henry at 14 when he was just going into the Asylum and when he was 22 and he was battling Vampires with Annie B. After a while though, I knew why the book was the way it was. It actually was better to go back and forth because you learned a little more about the character Henry and why he was the way he was. You also learned what he went through when he was younger. He didn't have a easy life and it was better for him to attend the Asylum and get away from his family. I actually felt terrible for him for what his parents put him through. He didn't really have an adult to take care of him. My favorite character though would be Annie B...which learn in the story is really Anne Boleyn. Really? Anne Boleyn? How could that be? Well..when you read the book you find out a different point of view of Vampires and some other characters that will have you in shock. Richard Raley definitely did his research and I love the fight scene at the end with Annie B, Joan d'Arc and King Henry Price. Yes I typed Joan d'Arc. She's really in there too. Annie B was a sassy, kick ass character that knew how to put Henry in his place. She also knew how to throw down and happened to scare the crap out of Henry in the story. She scared me too. For my first Indie Book...I have to say I'm glad I read this book first. Maybe I'll branch out more and read some more books in this genre now. I gave this book 4 stars. I would give it 5 stars...but I usually give a book 5 stars that had me on the edge of my seat. That's the only thing I didn't get from this book...but that doesn't mean it's not good. I recommend this book to anyone who likes the Urban Fantasy or Indie Genre's. Thank you Richard Raley for giving me a chance to read your book and reviewing it. I definitely want to read the next book in the series when it comes out. King Henry Price sure knows how to tell his story. =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Foul Mouth and the Fanged Lady.

11/20/2011 page 23
11/27/2011 page 200
73.8% "Is going to try to finish this book tomorrow. It's been hard to read when you have a newborn and a 6 yr old who require your attention. Thank goodness the oldest goes back to school tomorrow. Lol."
show 3 hidden updates…