Emily (emilykatereads)'s Reviews > The Leak of Madness

The Leak of Madness by Alice J. Black

bookshelves: read-in-2018, fantasy, paranormal

I've gotta say, I wasn't sure what to expect with a book so short, but I'm impressed. This short novella packed a punch in under 100 pages.

The entirety of this story takes place over less than 24 hours. Peyton, who relies on alcohol to suppress the ghost voices she hears, attends a wedding with her friend who asks her to refrain from alcohol for this event. Of course the friend doesn't know why she drinks, so here is the issue of the night: without alcohol, she's forced to face these voices.

Peyton is a flawed, but likeable, character. It only takes a few pages to get to understand her and sympathize for her. There were some things that felt pretty rushed and could've been drawn out more, but hey, it was paced pretty good for the amount of pages it used.

The story gives us enough detail but keeps the plot from getting too convuluted for a novella; it's the perfect amount of detail to intrigue readers and keep them wanting more.

I enjoyed Black's writing and I'll definitely keep an eye out for what other ghostly stories she comes out with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leak of Madness.

February 16, 2018 – Shelved