Jody 's Reviews > Death's End

Death's End by Liu Cixin

bookshelves: sci-fi, favorites

In the following review I will try my best to explain just how grand of scale and pure genius this trilogy truly is. Liu Cixin is a master at taking the scientific and technological world we live in today and transcending it through the ages. It has a classic feel mixed with new age knowledge and futuristic ideas.

This has been an adventure that took root in the Chinese Cultural Revolution of the 1960's and has traveled through countless eras, centuries, and millennia. Characters have come and gone with a lasting impression or a brief blink of the eye. To take a trilogy and have a different main character in each book is a bit unusual. But Liu Cixin seems to do this easily. In Death’s End, our MC is Cheng Xin. She is an aerospace engineer from the 21st century. Through Cheng Xin, the reader follows the ups and downs of humanity from one era to the next. From a technological boom to moments of almost certain doom, her life’s story is one of incredible adventure and the deepest sorrow.

"I am but an ordinary person. Unfortunately, I have not been able to walk the ordinary person’s path. My path is, in reality, the journey of a civilization.”

Speaking of technology! The technology displayed in Death’s End is amazing . Underground societies, multi-dimensional weapons, and space travel are only a few that stand out. Each one is detailed and the reader is given information on each to describe how they work. Not that I understood it all, but it was really cool to read about. Not only describing the technology, but how future societies function within it is also key to any good sci-fi novel. This is also done very well. Liu Cixin details the society and the society structure. Not too much in detail to feel like an info dump, but just enough to give you an overall feel of how the society works.

”Progress begot more progress; countless miracles gave birth to more miracles; humankind seemed to possess the power of gods; but in the end, the real power was wielded by time.”

There were many incredible scenes throughout this book and trilogy. It is conveyed in a way that makes it feel so real that I know I will never look at our galaxy the same way again. The story has developed and expanded so much from book 1 to book 3, it feels like I have read an entire series instead of just a trilogy. This has been by far the most authentic and imaginative sci-fi story I have read to date. If one of you out there has read this trilogy and does not agree with my last statement, please let me know what you consider to be better than this. I would love to try it!

This has been an amazing adventure, and I can’t thank my friend Petrik enough for urging me to start this right away. I will do the same to you fellow readers. Even if you are not a sci-fi fan I would urge you to give this a try. Just for the pure honesty and imagination it portrays for the human race and our future. Even if it is fiction, it’s still one hell of a story.

”But even more worrisome was the greatest lure provided by the future: the end of death.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's End.

February 16, 2018 – Shelved
February 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 8, 2018 – Started Reading
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: sci-fi
March 10, 2018 –
page 110
18.21% ""As long as you give it enough time, life is stronger than metal and stone, more powerful than typhoons and volcanoes.""
March 12, 2018 –
page 247
40.89% "In the silence suspended between the two swordsman, the blades of their spirits parried and stabbed as boundless claps of thunder. Before a single blow was struck, victory, defeat, life, and death had already been decided."
March 14, 2018 –
page 350
57.95% ""The whole universe is in darkness, but we remain lit. We're a tiny bird tied to a branch in the dark forest, with a spotlight trained on us. The attack could come from any direction, at any time.""
March 20, 2018 –
page 425
70.36% ""Death is the only lighthouse that is always lit. No matter where you sail, ultimately, you must turn toward it. Everything fades in the world, but Death endures.""
March 22, 2018 –
page 515
85.26% ""Weakness and ignorance are not barriers to survival, but arrogance is.""
March 24, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 29, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Orient (new)

Orient One more wonderful review, Jody! 😉 Wow, I can clearly see that this trilogy and the author charmed you totally!

Jody Orient wrote: "One more wonderful review, Jody! 😉 Wow, I can clearly see that this trilogy and the author charmed you totally!"

Thank you, Orient! 😁 This trilogy was awesome. Book 1 was really good, but books 2 and 3 were simply amazing.

message 3: by Orient (new)

Orient Jody wrote: "Orient wrote: "One more wonderful review, Jody! 😉 Wow, I can clearly see that this trilogy and the author charmed you totally!"

Thank you, Orient! 😁 This trilogy was awesome. Book 1 was really goo..."

Awesome! Will you try this author's other books? 😉

Petrik Simply awesome review, Jody!! I am so pleased that you enjoyed this trilogy so much, maybe even more than I did! :D

Jody Orient wrote: "Jody wrote: "Orient wrote: "One more wonderful review, Jody! 😉 Wow, I can clearly see that this trilogy and the author charmed you totally!"

Thank you, Orient! 😁 This trilogy was awesome. Book 1 w..."

I haven't looked into his other books yet, but I do plan to check them out. 😉

Jody Petrik wrote: "Simply awesome review, Jody!! I am so pleased that you enjoyed this trilogy so much, maybe even more than I did! :D"

Thank you, Petrik! And thank you again for urging me to read this. 😁

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Great review, Jody!

Jody Diane wrote: "Great review, Jody!"

Thank you, Diane!