Jan-Maat's Reviews > Gargantua and Pantagruel

Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais

Nov 01, 2011

bookshelves: 16th-century, novel, france, humour, read-in-translation

You have to have a certain type of sense of humour to enjoy this. And a taste for lists. And for shaggy dog stories. A sense of the ridiculous also helps.

It's learned, playful and inventive. A book in which you can learn that the neck of a goose is the best thing for wiping your arse (the goose presumably holds a divergent opinion on this), appreciate some of the pitfalls of conducting a formal academic debate in a university using your own invented sign language and learn why if you go to war against a giant who has a giant horse with a full bladder you should keep your army out of valleys and other low-lying areas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gargantua and Pantagruel.

message 1: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala So you still liked it second time around, J-M?

message 2: by Jan-Maat (new) - added it

Jan-Maat Fionnuala wrote: "So you still liked it second time around, J-M?"

I still like it, how about you, after five books?

message 3: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Jan-Maat wrote: "Fionnuala wrote: "So you still liked it second time around, J-M?"

I still like it, how about you, after five books?"

Oh, I think my fairly well developed sense of humour carried me through without difficulty - though I admit to skipping some of the lists - but on the other hand, I savoured every shaggy dog story right to the flamboyant finish - I don't think any of them were corked..

Manybooks I think if the goose were alive whilst being used as bathroom tissue, you would likely get goosed.