Jodi's Reviews > Telling Secrets

Telling Secrets by Frederick Buechner

Nov 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: book-club-books, ed, memoirs, non-fiction, spiritual
Recommended to Jodi by: Kelly Chirzpatrik
Read from November 01 to 02, 2011

The thing I like about being in a book club is that I must read books I would normally never pick up otherwise. This book is one of those books. The blurb wouldn't have grabbed my attention, I do not know the author, and the cover isn't overly appealing. However, a member of my book club wanted to read it so............I read it. Certainly, not a life-changing book or one I'll remember for ever, but it was a decent and quick read.

The author shares things that he has struggled with in his life - his father's suicide when he was a young boy, his relationship with his mother, dealing with his daughter's eating disorder, and his own spirituality. He made some good points - especially with his daughter. He struggled with her illness and I'm sure he did everything he could to help her but realized it was her battle. He had to struggle with her difficulties but acknowledge that they each had to deal with it in their own way. Wise man!

Hmmmmmm........his mother's motto, "You have to suffer to be beautiful" could be taken on so many levels. I think his mother took it at the surface level and was concerned with her looks. How about a person who gives tirelessly for a cause? They certainly suffer a lack of sleep, time and maybe money. You could look at it that way too, I guess! Although as a woman to meet society's standards, I certainly do my own suffering with control-top panty hose, plucking my eyebrows, coloring my hair.........hmmmmm.......my own form of torture, I guess.

I loved the story about the license plate with the word, "TRUST." I look at it as one of those "God nudges." The author was struggling with so many things in his life and was so lost and then the license plate appears for him to see. How funny that he tracked down the owner of the car and learned that its owner was a trust officer at a bank, but still it appearing at a time, he needed to trust that God had a plan for his life gives me a chill. Sometimes, we get these messages in life if we choose to listen to them!

His phrase "adult children" as adults who carry witin them many of the confussions and fears and hurts of their childhood, struck a cord with me. His understanding that he was not alone is empowering. I also believe as he stated, that we all have our own right to be happy!

Looking forward to tonight's discussion!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Telling Secrets.