Heidi The Reader's Reviews > Blood Rites

Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

bookshelves: mystery, urban-fantasy, fiction

In this entry in The Dresden Files, the vampire Thomas asks Harry to help his friend, an adult film maker. People keep dying on set and Thomas thinks its magic-related.

Part-mystery, part-comedy and 100 percent wizard, I think Blood Rites is one of the best in the series so far.

"I was agreeing to help him and taking a job, just as though Thomas were any other client. It probably wasn't the smartest thing I'd ever done. It had the potential to lead to lethally unhealthy decisions." pg 17

As usual, Harry can't seem to get his life together long enough to get anything done. He runs from crisis to crisis. But, he's become self-aware enough to realize what he's doing.

"My worry and tension slowly grew, and as they did I took a perverse comfort in the familiar emotions. It actually felt good to feel my survival instincts put me on guard against premature mortality. Hell's bells. Is that insane or what?" pg 93

We learn a lot more about Harry's personal life in this story.

"The hardest lesson a wizard has to learn is that even with so much power, there are some things you can't control. No matter how much you want to." pg 353.

And we also get to meet a shady character or two from his past.

Highly recommended for urban fiction fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Rites.

February 15, 2018 – Started Reading
February 15, 2018 – Shelved
March 3, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery
March 3, 2018 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
March 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
October 7, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Nice review, Heidi!

message 2: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic From the two books that I've read, I noticed that the author is slowly revealing bits and pieces about Harry's life. I like that it's not an info dump. So far I like this para-pulp.
Igor

Heidi The Reader Thanks Diane :) and Igor, I agree!