Angela M's Reviews > Sold on a Monday

Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris

liked it
bookshelves: edelweiss-reviews

I can’t stop thinking about the photographs - the cover of this book and the one that Ellis stages to support his piece for the newspaper he works for after his first photo is inadvertently destroyed, and the one in the author’s note that inspired her to write this book. I always love knowing the author’s inspiration for a story. But the one that haunts me the most is the first photo that Ellis takes, the one that is lost, the one that I only see in my imagination. The description of two little boys sitting on a porch with a sign next to them - “2 children for sale”. When I read about this first photograph and Ellis’s reaction “A breath caught in his throat”, it did in mine as well and was a truly visceral reaction for me. It’s a year after the stock market crash and a time when things are hard for people, but I shuddered to think - selling your children! I thought the story would be about these two little boys, their family, the impact of the Depression, but it turned out to be about two other children, and mostly about a man trying to make amends for a mistake he makes. It was a mistake that was committed through ambition and the need to prove himself to his father. The image of the two little boys on the porch was such a dramatic moment, I thought and then their story is gone.

I did like some things about the book especially how Kristina McMorris depicts the time, the era with newsies on the streets yelling the headlines, elevator operators and copy boys and typewriters in the newsroom. I did connect with the two children, Ruby and Calvin who did become central to the plot, but still kept thinking about those two little boys wondering the whole time about their fate. There were a number of things covered here that are covered here . Being an unwed mother and the stigma that might have been attached to that in this time as well as the struggle of women to make a place for themselves as professionals in the work place were depicted well through the character of Lily. I didn’t, however, fully emotionally connect with Lily and Ellis’ relationship. Just too many threads and a pat ending which together diluted what could have been a meaningful story.

Thanks to the those in the Traveling Sisters group who took part in the discussion. Always so interesting to get the perspective of others as we read and this was one we all seemed to agree on.

I received an advanced copy of this book from Sourcebooks through Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sold on a Monday.

February 15, 2018 – Shelved
February 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 15, 2018 – Started Reading
July 18, 2018 – Shelved as: edelweiss-reviews
July 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)

Dorie  - Traveling Sister :) sorry you didn't like this one as much as I did, hope your next read is a 5 :)

Angela M Dorie , thanks . There were a lot of things I liked about it , but not enough for 5 stars .

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz Well, even though it wasn't what you'd hoped, this is a lovely review. It sounds as if the whole summary may have been a bit misleading?

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review, Angela. Glad you enjoyed pieces of it but I will pass (you know the mountain!) :))

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Angela! I enjoyed reading and discussing this with you!

Marialyce So wonderful to have shared this book with you, Angela!

message 7: by Dana (new)

Dana I love your review although the book wasn’t all you hoped. The cover is lovely.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Seems to be the general consensus of the sisters...wish you all enjoyed more, but glad you had each other to discuss with! Great review :D

Angela M Liz wrote: "Well, even though it wasn't what you'd hoped, this is a lovely review. It sounds as if the whole summary may have been a bit misleading?"

Liz, thanks ! I think the description was somewhat misleading and I had higher expectations. I thought I’d love it .

Angela M Jen wrote: "Great review, Angela. Glad you enjoyed pieces of it but I will pass (you know the mountain!) :))"

Jen, thanks very much . Oh yes! I know about those piles very well .

Angela M Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Angela! I enjoyed reading and discussing this with you!"

Brenda, thanks so much . I enjoyed reading with you also and hope our next one together is 5 Stars .

Angela M Marialyce wrote: "So wonderful to have shared this book with you, Angela!"

Marialyce, I enjoyed reading this with you also and hope our next one is 5 stars !

Angela M Dana wrote: "I love your review although the book wasn’t all you hoped. The cover is lovely."

Dana, thank you ! I was hoping for something different as were the others .

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Wonderful review Angela. I have this coming up. 😎

Angela M Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Seems to be the general consensus of the sisters...wish you all enjoyed more, but glad you had each other to discuss with! Great review :D"

Kristin, thanks! It was great to read this with the others even though we pretty much were all disappointed. Not sure about Mary Beth and Debra yet . On to the next :)

Angela M Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "Wonderful review Angela. I have this coming up. 😎"

Thanks, Sandy ! I’ll be interested in your take on this one.

message 17: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review!!

Angela M Deanna, thank you !

message 19: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Terrific review, Angela. Sounds like a bait and switch to me—I hate it when that happens. I’ll skip.

Angela M Debbie, thanks. The description turned out to be different from the book .

PattyMacDotComma Good review, Angelam and I have a feeling my opinion will be similar when I get to it. But there's something so compelling about the subject matter that I want to at least try it.

Angela M Patty , thanks . I did like some things about it even though somewhat disappointing. I’ll be interested in your thoughts.

message 23: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Great review Angela! The cover is so sad.

message 24: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Excellent review, Angela! I also appreciate your views on where the lost stars went, so thank you! :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Fabulous review, Angela! I enjoyed reading and discussing this book with you! Too bad we didn’t all love it!

message 26: by Berit☀️✨ (new)

Berit☀️✨ Fabulous review as always Angela! 💕

Angela M Thanks , Holly , Jaline , Norma and Berit!

Norma, I wished we had loved it too !

message 28: by JanB (new)

JanB Angela, too bad this didn't live up to it's promise, I hope your next one is better!

Angela M Thanks, Jan. I hope so too .

message 30: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Nice honest review, Angela! I hope your next book is better!! 😊

Angela M Thanks! Julie ! Me too !

Susanne Strong Wonderful review Angela! Sorry this one disappointed!

Angela M Susanne, thanks! We all wished we loved it . There were some good things about but not what I was expecting.

message 34: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Very honest and thoughtful review 😉💟😊

Angela M Thanks , Tudor. One of those that I wanted to like more !

Cheri I had higher hopes for this one, as well, Angela, although I think I liked it just .25 more than you, there were a lot of sections that dragged on a bit for me, but there were some things I enjoyed, as well. Terrific review!

Angela M Cheri, thanks. I think my expectations were too high . The description appealed to me but I don’t think it was played out in the book . I did love The Edge of Lost .

message 38: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen Lovely review, Angela. :)

Angela M Thanks , Karen!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Angela! I just finished this one as well, and while I liked it more than you, I definitely understand your always thoughtful perspective.

Angela M Jennifer, thanks ! Going to find your review. If I remember correctly she’s a favorite of yours . I liked The Edge of Lost better :)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I am just finishing it up! Yes, she is a big favorite of mine. 😊

message 43: by Larry (new)

Larry H Angela, terrific review! Good to see you've joined the sisters, too!

Angela M Larry , thanks so much ! Yes, it’s a great group!

Jenny Belk I always enjoy seeing others ratings on books by authors I love. I read an ARC of this book and I gave it a 5* rating. I think this book was about redemption and righting a wrong, about empathy and doing what is right. I thought Kristina McMorris wrote it with those values in mind.

message 46: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thoughtful review, Angela, and I can understand why I would not resonate as deeply. I'm really having a hard time with books with too many threads lately.

Angela M Jenny , glad you enjoyed it .

Angela M Victoria, thanks. I know what you mean . Sometimes it seems like there are characters and events that make me wonder why they are part of the story. I really think I need to try to be more selective in choosing Arcs. I love new releases and new authors but you just never know really until you’re into a book .

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Great review, Angela!!!

Angela M Mackenzie, thanks so much .

« previous 1