Romancing the Book's Reviews > My Lunatic Life

My Lunatic Life by Sharon Sala

Nov 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya, paranormal

Review by Jen: the first in Sharon Sala's new YA paranormal mystery series. Sala is a well-known romantic suspense author with 85 novels under her belt. And now she's trying her hand with YA fiction.

As I read this book, I had to keep reminding myself that I was reading an uncorrected proof, review copy because there were some small things that should be caught during the final editing. But I found the premise of this series intriguing and this first book solid.

Sala keeps the mystery in this book pretty simple since she's spending a lot of time introducing characters and world building. Tara's new in town, so it's perfect for us to meet people as she is, but we also get glimpses into her past and how her unusual upbringing has shaped who she is... a teenage psychic whose two best friends are ghosts.

My only real issue with this book, as YA fiction, is the dialog. Keeping in mind that I'm in my mid-thirties, I found the dialog between the teenage characters to feel rather fake or forced. In one moment, the characters seemed to be quite mature and the next it's almost as if a "valley girl" possessed them.

There was also some minor "head-hopping" (a particular pet peeve of mine) that jumped out at me. And I got overly tired with Tara's repetitious proving herself as physic (although probably not at frustrated as Tara gets). But I did enjoy the book, which was a quick read, and look forward to the next book to see what happens to Tara next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lunatic Life.