Teri-K's Reviews > The Man With a Load of Mischief

The Man With a Load of Mischief by Martha Grimes

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery

I read this series when it first came out, and for a while a new Grimes in paperback was an automatic buy for me. Then Jury go so depressed and wrapped up in himself I stopped reading them. I haven't revisited them since, so it seemed about time to try one again.

The book opens with Melrose Plant, who becomes an important recurring character in the series. Two murders have taken place in local pubs and Plant isn't much interested but his annoying Aunt and all the locals are. Later we meet Richard Jury from Scotland Yard who will be investigating along with the hypochondriac Wiggins. Plant reminds me of Peter Whimsey - a very intelligent Lord who collects expensive books, has eccentric relatives and gets involved in murder. (Plant has given up his title, though.)

I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as when it first came out. My tastes have changed, but I suspect there's also more choice out there now for people who have read all the Golden Age authors and want more mysteries set in England. I found the MCs rather pathetic, in fact. They didn't really like each other but never tried to change or assert themselves in any way. And the back story with Vivien and her sister didn't work for me at all. So I think I'll leave this series in the past.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man With a Load of Mischief.

1981 – Started Reading
1981 – Finished Reading
February 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 15, 2018 – Shelved
February 15, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery
page 70
26.62% "Plant reminds me of Lord Peter Whimsey."
page 71