Greg's Reviews > Monsieur

May 26, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, dalkey
Read in May, 2008

Very French. Cold and impersonal for most of the book, but interesting it it's strangely disinterested manner of delving deeply into the life of a person only known in the book as Monsieur. Like Beckett in someways, but with science thrown in, which I think is supposed to be important, but I just didn't spend enough time thinking about the ramifications of quantum theory on the narrative structure of the book. My loss I'm sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsieur.

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen I also had a hard time with the physics references in this book. However, I didn't even get to the point where I was applying his observations on Schrodinger's cat to the narrative structure of the book...I eventually just skimmed those parts. Eventually, I think I was skimming over everything, unfortunately.

I got the sense that this was supposed to be a humorous novel. Parts of it did strike me as funny (in a small way)...I liked the interactions between Monsieur and his geologist neighbor. I can definitely think of a few times where I felt so trapped by an overly-friendly acquaintance that I'd consider any means of escape (not to the point of moving out of my apartment, though!).

Greg I agree that it seemed like it was supposed to be humorous, but it was almost too absurd to be genuinely funny. I do think that there was more to the book that I was supposed to get but I guess the book just didn't have anything that really ever got me engaged with it.

Greg I barely remember this book, maybe I should look it over again.