linda sue's Reviews > Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

Jun 23, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: teachers, people interested in middle eastern affairs, anthropologists
Read in June, 2007

Surprisingly, this was a good book. It was a New York Times bestseller, but considering "The Secret" also is, my faith in picking books that were or are currently on the N.Y.T. bestseller list is waining. But I digress..... this book started out really good... then it took a while to get into it until after I could make myself get past the first section. "Reading Lolita in Tehran" definetly made me think of how people in the middle east have to life in fear everyday about being bombed etc from the wars that have been going on there over the years. Decent memoir.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Lolita in Tehran.

message 1: by Andy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Andy I read this book for my global lit class, and while it was an interesting look inside a country racked by fundamentalism, I thought that much of the book slightly reeked of manifest destiny. Indeed, I read somewhere that Nafisi was friends with Paul Wolfowitz, who we all know as one of the chief archetects of the Iraq invasion.

The New York Times bestseller list is yucky. Most of the books I've read off that list all read like screenplays, the most recent being "The Kite Runner." Hossenini carefully researched that book, it seems, to make a blockbuster tie-in.