Mike's Reviews > Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely

Oct 31, 2011

This is an exceptionally well written every day language book (no small feat for a person whose day job is a behavioral economy professor in MIT ), on how we allow to be manipulated by others but especially by ourselves. The research and case studies cover most facets of our life. Including on what basis we choose a mate, why we decide to go to Starbucks and pass Dunkin Donuts, beer we think is great even though it has balsamic vinegar drops, advance medication we think we take even though it's nothing but vitamin C. The author spares no one especially himself. The book does not judge. It asks 'are we honest' ? Why is it so easy for anyone to be self manipulated ? The book does not talk about the stock market or the present financial situation - even though in reading the book can reach the obvious conclusions.
This is not a feel good book, but it's very interesting and you are going to say more than once "you have got to be kidding." 5 for making a potentially boring scientific presentation interesting and 'entertaining'
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Predictably Irrational.

Caroline I have this book on my t-r lists. It sounds absolutely fascinating - and your review adds to my enthusiasm for reading it.

I recently read Errornomics: Why We Make Mistakes and What We Can Do To Avoid Them which was on vaguely similar lines...all about how we misunderstand ourselves. I found it utterly gripping!