Nadia's Reviews > An Affair with a Spare

An Affair with a Spare by Shana Galen

it was ok
bookshelves: awesome-side-characters, love-the-cover, steamy, ty-netgalley

If this book was a rollercoaster, the climb would be really, really, really slow, like you can easily look around the at scenery, chat with the person next to you, take out your phone and take selfies for a while, tuck your phone safely back in, maybe chat some more before it finally climbs and drops. But when it drops, it's insane.

You can split this book into two parts. The first part I'd describe as incredibly boring and infuriating at the same time. Collette insists on being called a spy, and even argues that she's an excellent spy, where in fact, she's as much of a spy as the hedgehogs she mentions every time she's feeling nervous (btw what's up with that?! I think it was meant to be endearing, but it just came off as strange). While acquiring information she's making some pretty obvious and dumb mistakes, that any rational thinking person, spy or no spy, wouldn't make. And of course, she immediately draws negative attention to herself and has a spy following her in return. Which happens to be our lovely hero.

Rafe, on the other hand, is a spy and knows what he's doing. The contrast between them is so stark, Collette's incompetence just shines through even stronger. Things started to get weird too, because at first he barely notices her physical appearance, and then all of a sudden all he can think about is her body and her skin and her face. The change from disinterested to can't keep my eyes off of you was too sudden for my liking, and seemed kinda forced onto to the reader. Just didn't feel genuine.
Whereas Collette's infatuation was so over the top, that from this aspect the first part of the book might as well be called An Ode to Rafe's Beauty or maybe A 100 Page Dissertation on His Magnificent Violet Eyes and Tousled Hair.

The second half is pretty much pure action and it was so much more fun to read than the endless tea parties and balls in the beginning. Things pick up and I actually ended up enjoying myself. Collette kinda grew on me, because she stopped behaving as a nitwit. Rafe's behavior though, left a lot to be desired. For some reason he turned pretty aggressive (because he was jealous, I think?!) towards people who are his friends, allies and even his butler. Attacking his butler was the last straw, that's not jealousy, that's just douchebaggery. He does pull through in the end, with a grand gesture of course, and I ended up feeling glad for both of them.

We were introduced to the character of Thomas Gaines, whom I really liked and we got to know Jasper a bit more, that leads me to believe he actually might be getting his own book, in which case I will be a really happy reader.

The cover is really pretty too. At first glance it seems like a generic HR cover, but the girl and the dress are gorgeous, and the colors are really pleasing. It's definitely something I wouldn't be embarrassed to read in public. (I'm looking at you covers with a half naked dude spooning a partially undressed woman!)

Thinking back on this whole reading experience, I don't find myself wanting to reread this book soon. While the second part was fun and entertaining, it took a pretty while to get there and that's just something I don't want to through again. So far, Ewan's book remains my favorite in the series, but I'm really excited about Jasper's story, I'd love to see what the author has in store for him.

A big thank you to Sourcebooks Casablanca for providing me with an ARC through NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Affair with a Spare.

February 14, 2018 – Shelved
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 1, 2018 – Started Reading
June 4, 2018 –
27.0% "Seriously?! 27% in and we already get the "You're in love" speech delivered to the MC by a friendly former lover. This better end soon."
June 5, 2018 –
34.0% "Her plan is so idiotic that it kills every joy I get from reading. Of course a hardened war hero who fought against Napoleon is just going to blubber sensitive information to this random French girl. Why yes, her best option is to just continue following him to tea parties and balls and such. I just adore dumb heroines!!"
June 7, 2018 –
41.0% "And all of a sudden, she's no longer shy or blushing or stammering, but talks about seduction as if it's the weather. What the hell is going on?"
June 7, 2018 –
49.0% "So, what I assumed would be the main conflict is actually happening now. A little unpredictability never hurt nobody."
June 8, 2018 –
51.0% "This conversation took a weird turn, but I'm all here for it. Also is this confirmation for Jasper's story? Cuz I'm all here for that, too."
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: awesome-side-characters
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: love-the-cover
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: steamy
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: ty-netgalley
June 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Bummer :( I hope your next book would be a lot better!

Nadia Thanks Alejandro! 😊

romancebookjunkie Totally felt the same about the first half of the book! I kept looking to see how much I had left to read which is probably an indication I was not liking it

Nadia lol same. By the time I reached about the 50% mark, I felt like I was reading for an eternity

Maria Christine I'm past the 50% and I'm still feeling the same way. It does feel all of a sudden. Wraxall's book is still my favorite because I liked how their relationship blossomed.

I was looking forward to Rafe's book, but now I don't know. I'm skimming pages now because I just want to get to the good stuff and skip the rest.

Nadia Maria Christine wrote: "I'm past the 50% and I'm still feeling the same way. It does feel all of a sudden. Wraxall's book is still my favorite because I liked how their relationship blossomed.

I was looking forward to R..."

Yeah, I was the same. The really slow build up sort of ruins what little of the actual story has left.

Maria Christine Nadia wrote: "Maria Christine wrote: "I'm past the 50% and I'm still feeling the same way. It does feel all of a sudden. Wraxall's book is still my favorite because I liked how their relationship blossomed.

I ..."

and i just skimmed till the end. Even the grand gesture was over the top.

Stephanie I agree with all of this! I was disappointed because I liked Rafe's character in the first two books and I thought this one would be better.

Maria Christine Stephanie wrote: "I agree with all of this! I was disappointed because I liked Rafe's character in the first two books and I thought this one would be better."

I really wanted something so Rafe-like for Rafe. This book was so disappointing. I hope Jasper's is better.